Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
-
Narrow Minded
Post
by Narrow Minded » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:36 pm
-steves-:67501 wrote:Sorry guys, didn't mean for this post to become an online advert for a Roundhouse Bertie convention :oops: :shock: :roll:
It's a sad fact that some folk only post on here when they've got something to "push"
(And I apologise for the continued Bungle on your thread!

)
-
-steves-
- Administrator

- Posts: 2473
- Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
- Location: Cambridge & Peterborough
Post
by -steves- » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:16 am
I think you about hit the nail on the head there with that from my point of view, as much as I would love a Roundhouse loco to see just how good the quality and reliability is all about, the Accucraft loco's I already own have been faultless to date and run perfectly and are half the price. Still, one day you never know, I might end up with a Roundhouse loco and then I will see for myself.
Strange but it appears we now have 2 Leaders and a Ragleth, but only my new Leader thats coming will in the same colour, lol ;) :D I do like the maroon one I have to admit.....
-
DolwyddelanLightRail
Post
by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:18 am
At the moment, I have an Edrig and Lady Anne, and both loco's are completely different kettle of fish in terms of the different "range" they are both from. However, at the moment I've been enjoying running my Edrig so much at the moment that the Lady Anne hasn't really seen use in over a month now, mainly because I was becoming boring with the "light up and go" with the Lady Anne, unlike the edrig. To get the edrig to do what I want sometimes you literally have to go along and fire it to get the absolute best out of it, which you can't really do with a Lady Anne, and also another reason is probably because I'm getting more and more annoyed with the R/C in it

-
IrishPeter
Post
by IrishPeter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:57 pm
James - I have two 'Rubys' and a 'Millie' and the same observations apply in a basic way.
The Millie is easier to run and copes well with heavy loads on the 1 in 30 gradients of the Cromarty Light Railway, though she does stop for a blow up pretty frequently. With 'Millie' I turn the burner down when she boils and then I do not have to touch it again for the rest of the session. Also when you need to run her you open the reg a bit and leave her to it until it is time to stop her making an inglorious exit into the gravel trap at the end of the line.
'Rubys' need a lot of adjustment. As the gas tank warms up you need to keep adjusting the burner to stop it wasting too much gas. It is a hard job to find the sweet spot where she is boiling, but not blowing off loads of steam without the fire going out. I need to use the regulator more than I do on 'Millie' but she does handle light loads - a couple of wagons and a coach - very well with fewer stops for blowing up than 'Millie' might indulge in. However, Millie always restarts after a blow-up, whilst 'Ruby' nearly always needs a nudge.
As I recollect I paid 475 dollars for 'Ruby' and 475 pounds for 'Millie.' Whether 'Millie' was worth paying the extra 75% for I will only find out in time. Ruby 1 as cost me a new crank axle (USD 99.00) so that narrows the gap a bit, and 'Ruby 2' had to have new cylinders (USD 177.00) to settle her down as she was one of the original Rubys with the smaller cylinders c.2002.
On the whole I tend to run 'Millie' more mainly because the results are more predictable. However, I really do not have a strong preference for either Accucraft or Roundhouse, so at the end of the day it comes down to how short of cash I am and whether or not I am in a mood to endorse Chinese labour practices by buying Chinese.
Peter in AZ
-
garratt100
Post
by garratt100 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 pm
Narrow Minded:67511 wrote:-steves-:67501 wrote:Sorry guys, didn't mean for this post to become an online advert for a Roundhouse Bertie convention :oops: :shock: :roll:
It's a sad fact that some folk only post on here when they've got something to "push"
(And I apologise for the continued Bungle on your thread!

)
Oh dear - this clearly didn't come across as was intended!
Steves - apologies if offence was caused, it wasn't the idea to become an 'online advert for a Bertie convention'.
I mentioned Bertie-Fest because 1 - you were thinking about getting one & 2 - you are just down the road from us & it's always good to meet local 16mm Assoc members with a similar interest.
Narrow minded - the intention was not to "push" Bertie-Fest, more to make people aware that it is happening. Although the event is very tongue in cheek (one of those crazy ideas that some idiot got up & ran with, i must hold my hand up to that...), there will be lots of Bertie discussion, pro's & con's etc - so if anyone else (like steves) is thinking of getting one, what better place to talk about it than amongst many Bertie owners??
Again, no offence was intended to anyone.
Chris Moody
Bertie-Fest organiser
-
-steves-
- Administrator

- Posts: 2473
- Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
- Location: Cambridge & Peterborough
Post
by -steves- » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm
garratt100:67582 wrote:Narrow Minded:67511 wrote:-steves-:67501 wrote:Sorry guys, didn't mean for this post to become an online advert for a Roundhouse Bertie convention :oops: :shock: :roll:
It's a sad fact that some folk only post on here when they've got something to "push"
(And I apologise for the continued Bungle on your thread!

)
Oh dear - this clearly didn't come across as was intended!
Steves - apologies if offence was caused, it wasn't the idea to become an 'online advert for a Bertie convention'.
I mentioned Bertie-Fest because 1 - you were thinking about getting one & 2 - you are just down the road from us & it's always good to meet local 16mm Assoc members with a similar interest.
Narrow minded - the intention was not to "push" Bertie-Fest, more to make people aware that it is happening. Although the event is very tongue in cheek (one of those crazy ideas that some idiot got up & ran with, i must hold my hand up to that...), there will be lots of Bertie discussion, pro's & con's etc - so if anyone else (like steves) is thinking of getting one, what better place to talk about it than amongst many Bertie owners??
Again, no offence was intended to anyone.
Chris Moody
Bertie-Fest organiser
Hi Chris
No worries at all.
PM being sent in a couple of mins as I would love to come alone and see whats what with Bertie's

-
invicta280
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 676
- Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm
- Location: kent england
Post
by invicta280 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:11 pm
Wish i could get to the Bertie fest. I'd love to buy a Bertie and intend to when finance allows.
Like many others i'm a bit dubious about the 'unmanly' smokebox.
Maybe there's a P.O. box you can write to who will send, for a consideration, in a plain brown wrapper, a Smokebox Enlarger. ;)
-
-steves-
- Administrator

- Posts: 2473
- Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
- Location: Cambridge & Peterborough
Post
by -steves- » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:20 pm
P.S. just to note, for those who have not read the entire thread, in the end I went out and purchased an Accucraft Leader as IMHO for the price, there was nothing to compete against it for value for money and the one I already have has been faultless.
Just looking for someone to line it for me now, a few emails are floating about in the ether to see what cost it will come in at
I will have my eyes firmly wide open at the 16mm AGM in Peterborough just in case there is a nice little loco to be had there, here is to hoping

-
garratt100
Post
by garratt100 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:44 pm
invicta280:67680 wrote:Wish i could get to the Bertie fest. I'd love to buy a Bertie and intend to when finance allows.
Like many others i'm a bit dubious about the 'unmanly' smokebox.
Maybe there's a P.O. box you can write to who will send, for a consideration, in a plain brown wrapper, a Smokebox Enlarger. ;)
I've seen a couple of Berties that have been fitted with larger smokeboxes & they look a whole different loco! I was also sent a photo just a couple of days ago of someone who has made a prototype that he intends to market i believe.
As soon as i know more, i'll put a thread in the 'New products' section.
Chris Moody
Bertie fancier...
-
Gremlin
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 695
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm
- Location: Kent
Post
by Gremlin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:33 pm
I've nearly finished lining my Leader and think it's coming along quite nicely, does make a lot of difference.
Now I've been having the same debate. I have a Leader so something else might be the way to go, still not sure. I don't have a Ragleth but do have an Edrig and a conversion, so have two on the same power unit.
Whilst looking around I've noticed the Regner Vincent. Wonderful looking contraption. All three are in the same price band, so any thoughts on this quirky German engine?
-
garratt100
Post
by garratt100 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:33 am
-steves-:67678 wrote:garratt100:67582 wrote:Narrow Minded:67511 wrote:-steves-:67501 wrote:Sorry guys, didn't mean for this post to become an online advert for a Roundhouse Bertie convention :oops: :shock: :roll:
It's a sad fact that some folk only post on here when they've got something to "push"
(And I apologise for the continued Bungle on your thread!

)
Oh dear - this clearly didn't come across as was intended!
Steves - apologies if offence was caused, it wasn't the idea to become an 'online advert for a Bertie convention'.
I mentioned Bertie-Fest because 1 - you were thinking about getting one & 2 - you are just down the road from us & it's always good to meet local 16mm Assoc members with a similar interest.
Narrow minded - the intention was not to "push" Bertie-Fest, more to make people aware that it is happening. Although the event is very tongue in cheek (one of those crazy ideas that some idiot got up & ran with, i must hold my hand up to that...), there will be lots of Bertie discussion, pro's & con's etc - so if anyone else (like steves) is thinking of getting one, what better place to talk about it than amongst many Bertie owners??
Again, no offence was intended to anyone.
Chris Moody
Bertie-Fest organiser
Hi Chris
No worries at all.
PM being sent in a couple of mins as I would love to come alone and see whats what with Bertie's

Thanks for the pm Steve & of course you are welcome to attend Bertie-Fest.
I'd like to invite Narrow Minded as well & look forward to seeing you both at the Peterborough show at the end of March.
Chris Moody
Bertie-Fest organiser
-
Gremlin
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 695
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm
- Location: Kent
Post
by Gremlin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:11 pm
Just finished lining my Leader, I think it does improve the plain green.

-
sstjc
- Fireman

- Posts: 442
- Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:47 am
- Location: Faversham Kent
-
Contact:
Post
by sstjc » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:15 pm
Thats an excellent lining job. How did you do it please ?
Barry
-
Gremlin
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 695
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm
- Location: Kent
Post
by Gremlin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:20 pm
I just sprinkled magic lining dust on and left overnight
As you can imagine it wasn't quite like that. A lining pen, patience and a lot of breath holding were the main ingredients plus the courage to attack a new loco in the first place..
-
ferrysteam
Post
by ferrysteam » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:31 pm
You have a secure future there old son.An excellent job......Allan
-
Pendo Pilot
Post
by Pendo Pilot » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:12 pm
Does indeed look superb that, really suits it as well. Job well done.
-
invicta280
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 676
- Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm
- Location: kent england
Post
by invicta280 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:04 pm
Ahh yes! That looks great.
-
-steves-
- Administrator

- Posts: 2473
- Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
- Location: Cambridge & Peterborough
Post
by -steves- » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:30 pm
@ Gremlin...... absolutely awesome matey, bery impressive......

-
Gremlin
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 695
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm
- Location: Kent
Post
by Gremlin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:44 pm
It had it's first outing today at a local meet and gained many compliments from people far more experienced than I which was nice. Even had a couple of people ask if I could do lining job for them.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests