Roundhouse Bertie or Accucraft Leader??

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
User avatar
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2473
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Cambridge & Peterborough

Roundhouse Bertie or Accucraft Leader??

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:49 am

The Rounhouse Bertie and the Accucraft Leader are currently within a few pounds of each other to buy. I have a Leader and am extremly happy with it, it runs very well and I have not had any issues with it.

My question is, is it worth buying a Rounhouse Bertie for the same / slightly more money? What advantages / disadvantages are there to either of them?

It would be nice to have something different, but at the moment this is my only justification for not buying the leader but thats mainly down to never having owned a roundouse loco to compare it against? Though of course I could just buy the Leader in a different colour?

Any guidence or opinion is appreciated
Last edited by -steves- on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2473
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Cambridge & Peterborough

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:46 am

I guess the other option is another Ragleth, but again I already have one of these, though it does come with a larger boiler but without the sight glass or top up valve. The downside is, the Ragleth has gone up loads recently and I begrudge paying that much for it now as the Leader is actually cheaper these days.

Yours
Confused..... :D

Vapouriser

Billie or Leader

Post by Vapouriser » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:21 am

I have just bought Ragleth and am very pleased with it. Especially the reversing lever which is the only thing missing for me on Roundhouse slip eccentrics. I was lucky to buy it at the last price rise as I had to forgo r/c if I d waited another week I wouldnt have it! I find the gas valve could perhaps do with a finer thread and the regulator definately so. It s nearly impossble to keep it running very slow. I suppose I will have it radio controlled one funds permit and that may do the trick. I also have a ( little used)Externaly gas fired 29 year old Lady Ann which I prefer(!) not sure why. I think its that elusive thing - refinement. It just feels different and easily runs very slowly. There is another purchase planned and it will be Roundhouse. It may be personal preference though.

User avatar
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2473
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Cambridge & Peterborough

Re: Billie or Leader

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:32 am

Vapouriser:67294 wrote:I have just bought Ragleth and am very pleased with it. Especially the reversing lever which is the only thing missing for me on Roundhouse slip eccentrics. I was lucky to buy it at the last price rise as I had to forgo r/c if I d waited another week I wouldnt have it! I find the gas valve could perhaps do with a finer thread and the regulator definately so. It s nearly impossble to keep it running very slow. I suppose I will have it radio controlled one funds permit and that may do the trick. I also have a ( little used)Externaly gas fired  29 year old Lady Ann which I prefer(!) not sure why. I think its that elusive thing - refinement. It just feels different and easily runs very slowly. There is another purchase planned and it will be Roundhouse. It may be personal preference though.
The Ragleth with RC in it is very very controlable, I have one and its a fine piece of machinery, very solid and reliable. The Ragleth is also very easy to put your own RC gear into, whereas the Leader is a right pain to change over to RC. I would suggest having a go at the RC side for the Ragleth yourself, its pretty ,much already for RC including cut outs for the switch underneath the chassis.

As you say, I paid £490 for my last Ragleth, the price rise to £560 and soon up to £640 is too much IMHO compared to a reduction in the Leader which is another very very nice loco and can be had for just £530 for a Leader, which i paid £615 for 6 months ago.

Decisions decisions?????

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:59 am

Go for a Bertie. You will not be disappointed.

User avatar
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2473
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Cambridge & Peterborough

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:10 pm

Sir haydn:67298 wrote:Go for a Bertie. You will not be disappointed.
Thats good to know, but what are its advantages over the others? I am aware of the leader and ragleth differences of boiler size, therefore running time, sight glass, top up vlave, drain valve etc, but have no idea on a Bertie?

Thanks
Steve

User avatar
Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm
Location: Kent

Post by Gremlin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:14 pm

A nice quandry to be in. I too am contemplating another Leader because of the price changes. I haven't got a Ragleth but have 2 Edrigs, one has been coverted with a Mortimer cab but they are all on the same chassis/boiler and run very well.
I have a Bertie too but think Leader has more to offer (£525 from Anything Narrowgauge)
Wouldn't mind a Carodoc though.

Endless, Nameless

Post by Endless, Nameless » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Don't forget Accucraft locos aren't run in from the factory (nor are Roundhouse basic locos, but this is valid for the comparison of Ragleth to an older Lady Anne) so they might take a few runs to ease up a bit. The gas & regulator threads are relatively coarse but a gentle touch and practice (and perhaps a dab of vaseline on the gas valve o- ring) works wonders.

Also, Ragleth does come with the required holes (servo mounting holes in the footplate under the side tank and the slot in the frames for the switch) for single channel r/c on the reverser but you'll need to do a bit of fiddling about if you want to control the regulator.

Back to the original question...

I've no experience of either engine other than seeing examples of both running, which they both do well.

Leader is supposed to be a bit of a pain to fit r/c to if that's your thing. There is a big price difference between trackshack's manual and r/c prices for a reason! I have no idea how difficult it is to fit to Bertie but of course you can only control the regulator, it being slip eccentric.

Personally I'd go for the one that's based on a prototype, has a proper reverser and a factory fitted gauge glass, but that's just my opinion.

As a word of warning, both companies have their fanboys who won't hear anything against their "pet" company but are the first to slate the other. I tend to be a bit of an Accucraft fan so have tried to see this fairly- but there will be people that won't!

User avatar
Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm
Location: Kent

Post by Gremlin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:42 pm

-steves-:67299 wrote:
Sir haydn:67298 wrote:Go for a Bertie. You will not be disappointed.
Thats good to know, but what are its advantages over the others? I am aware of the leader and ragleth differences of boiler size, therefore running time, sight glass, top up vlave, drain valve etc, but have no idea on a Bertie?

Thanks
Steve
To get Bertie upto spec with Leader you will have to buy, pressure gauge, water site glass and top up valve, that's a fair chunk on top. I have seen Berties with single channel R/C that ran nicely. If running manual as I do there isn't much in it really.
I like both engines, just trying to think which I'd buy given current prices and if I had neither :? probably Leader.

User avatar
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2473
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Cambridge & Peterborough

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:00 pm

I think taking everything in to account, even though I would really like a Roundhouse, just to see what they are all about, I think the Leader at this price is the one that wins out this time.

So now off to see if they have the light green one in stock as the only one I could get the last time was a black one, which looks very nice, but it most definately isn't green, lol.

Thank you to all who replied, as this really confirmed what I was originally thinking about the Leader, its too good to pass up at that price. I will turn it into 2 channel RC like I did my last one as it wasn't too bad once I got the hole cut through the chassis, lol. :D

User avatar
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2473
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Cambridge & Peterborough

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Right, just "tried" to order a Leader in Green....

It appears that I wasnt the only one thinking these were a fantastic deal and they have run out of stock of everything but the maroon one. however, if you are quick, he is getting some more stock at the same price which will be here in 2 to 3 weeks, just thought I would give you the heads up on it. If you get the oppertunity, enjoy... :D

User avatar
Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm
Location: Kent

Post by Gremlin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:48 pm

I assume it's because Accucraft UK are away at the moment. I've got something to send back and they said to post after the 16th March. Looks they'll be busy on thier return.
I was waiting to see what comes of this weekend at the Surrey steam up before ordering. In two minds now.......
You could have two Leaders one Bowaters green and one in Maroon as it carried both colours. I think it might be due back in service this year.

User avatar
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2473
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Cambridge & Peterborough

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Gremlin:67317 wrote:I assume it's because Accucraft UK are away at the moment. I've got something to send back and they said to post after the 16th March. Looks they'll be busy on thier return.
I was waiting to see what comes of this weekend at the Surrey steam up before ordering. In two minds now.......
You could have two Leaders one Bowaters green and one in Maroon as it carried both colours. I think it might be due back in service this year.
Yup its down to Accucraft UK being on Holiday until the 14th March, or somewhere around there. I was going to hold off until after the show in Peterborough, but to be fair, find the shows quite expensive and generally I always miss out on the really good deals by trying to hold off to justify it, thought that had happend again today until Jon confirmed he was getting some more in. The show in Peterborough I just have to go to as I only live 4 miles down the road, just have to keep my money in my pocket now, lol :D

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 pm

I bet there's some of the new Mamods available for immediate despatch! 8)

garratt100

Re: Roundhouse Bertie or Accucraft Leader??

Post by garratt100 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:31 pm

-steves-:67289 wrote:The Rounhouse Bertie and the Accucraft Leader are currently within a few pounds of each other to buy. I have a Leader and am extremly happy with it, it runs very well and I have not had any issues with it.

My question is, is it worth buying a Rounhouse Bertie for the same / slightly more money? What advantages / disadvantages are there to either of them?

It would be nice to have something different, but at the moment this is my only justification for not buying the leader but thats mainly down to never having owned a roundouse loco to compare it against? Though of course I could just buy the Leader in a different colour?

Any guidence or opinion is appreciated
Go for the Bertie - that way you can join the band of happy Bertie owners on the 21st April at 'Bertie-Fest' being held at the South Arbury Railway, Cambridge.

From 12:00 until 18:00, Berties will be 'doing their thing'!!

Just down the road from you, not far to travel at all...

For the full details go to www.loco-boxes.co.uk & click on the 'Bertie-Fest 2012' page.

Chris Moody
Bertie-Fest 2012 organiser

IrishPeter

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:45 am

Much as I love my Roundhouse 'Millie' I would lean towards a 'Leader' mainly because (a) second generation Accys are good locomotives, (b) has a few more bells and whistles - well, actually a reverser, and (c) I like the look of the thing better than a 'Bertie.' The only snag I have ever had with the newer Accys is that the valve gear slowly going out of adjustment. This is something that happens in 12 inches to the foot scale, so be prepared to deal with it, and as you probably do not have my murderous gradients, it will happen less often to you than me.

If you do decide to go with 'Bertie' you will have a good, strong, and reliable locomotive. However, I cannot get over that tiny little smokebox, it just is not 'butch' enough for a middle sized saddle tank.

These days choosing between Accy and Roundhouse is a bit of a judgement of Paris situation. Roundhouse has the reputation, a long tradition of sturdy and reliable locomotives which are made in England, and their after sales service is second to none. Accucraft has come on leaps and bounds and is now producing some very good locomotives. There is a very slight chance of a rogue locomotive as Chinese quality control occasionally takes a day off, but I have been hearing of fewer and fewer cases of Accucraft producing 'Monday morning specials.'

Peter in AZ

ferrysteam

Post by ferrysteam » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:34 pm

I think the Leader and Ragleth are very good value for the money.Although RoundHouse are superb engines they are very expensive compared to Accucraft.

Image
Image
Image

dws

Re: Roundhouse Bertie or Accucraft Leader??

Post by dws » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:27 pm

garratt100:67427 wrote:
-steves-:67289 wrote:The Rounhouse Bertie and the Accucraft Leader are currently within a few pounds of each other to buy. I have a Leader and am extremly happy with it, it runs very well and I have not had any issues with it.

My question is, is it worth buying a Rounhouse Bertie for the same / slightly more money? What advantages / disadvantages are there to either of them?

It would be nice to have something different, but at the moment this is my only justification for not buying the leader but thats mainly down to never having owned a roundouse loco to compare it against? Though of course I could just buy the Leader in a different colour?

Any guidence or opinion is appreciated
Go for the Bertie - that way you can join the band of happy Bertie owners on the 21st April at 'Bertie-Fest' being held at the South Arbury Railway, Cambridge.

From 12:00 until 18:00, Berties will be 'doing their thing'!!

Just down the road from you, not far to travel at all...

For the full details go to www.loco-boxes.co.uk & click on the 'Bertie-Fest 2012' page.

Chris Moody
Bertie-Fest 2012 organiser
The Bertie-Fest is on Sunday 22nd April 2012 :D :D :D :D :D

garratt100

Re: Roundhouse Bertie or Accucraft Leader??

Post by garratt100 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:32 pm

dws:67474 wrote:
garratt100:67427 wrote:
-steves-:67289 wrote:The Rounhouse Bertie and the Accucraft Leader are currently within a few pounds of each other to buy. I have a Leader and am extremly happy with it, it runs very well and I have not had any issues with it.

My question is, is it worth buying a Rounhouse Bertie for the same / slightly more money? What advantages / disadvantages are there to either of them?

It would be nice to have something different, but at the moment this is my only justification for not buying the leader but thats mainly down to never having owned a roundouse loco to compare it against? Though of course I could just buy the Leader in a different colour?

Any guidence or opinion is appreciated
Go for the Bertie - that way you can join the band of happy Bertie owners on the 21st April at 'Bertie-Fest' being held at the South Arbury Railway, Cambridge.

From 12:00 until 18:00, Berties will be 'doing their thing'!!

Just down the road from you, not far to travel at all...

For the full details go to www.loco-boxes.co.uk & click on the 'Bertie-Fest 2012' page.

Chris Moody
Bertie-Fest 2012 organiser
The Bertie-Fest is on Sunday 22nd April 2012 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Well done DWS!

The two golden rules in getting your advert noticed - 1, make it full of 'naughty' bits so it gets banned & everyone goes looking for it or 2, make a mistake so everyone starts to check the dates...

My mistake was deliberate...of course... :oops:

Looking forward to seeing many Berties there on the ...what was it again? Ah yes, the 22nd April... :)

Chris Moody
Bertie-Fest 2012 organiser

User avatar
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2473
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Cambridge & Peterborough

Post by -steves- » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:15 pm

Sorry guys, didn't mean for this post to become an online advert for a Roundhouse Bertie convention :oops:  :shock:  :roll:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests