Anyone had any bargains recently?

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:26 pm

Is there some sort of catch?
No, no, just a little on / off switch mounted under the cab roof, you can see it in the photo's (Live Steam - New Arrival Brinsley Lodge.) :lol:

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Received today via an ebay 'win' £26 + p&p !

Image

Will post another pic when I've tarted them up a bit :D

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:24 pm

SLRmidge wrote:Received today via an ebay 'win'  £26 + p&p !

Image

Will post another pic when I've tarted them up a bit  :D
Why do I always miss out on bargains like this? :roll: :lol:
Thanks
Jack

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:49 pm

90733 wrote:
SLRmidge wrote:Received today via an ebay 'win'  £26 + p&p !

Will post another pic when I've tarted them up a bit  :D
Why do I always miss out on bargains like this?  :roll:  :lol:
You just have to persivere & look up stuff for sale under headings like g scale/ g guage/o guage/ (spelt wrongly & correctly) etc.
I few weeks ago I even found an old Pearse gas fired steamer for sale under 'battery train' !!! (but it went for more than I could afford cos somenoe else had spied it)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Excellent haul !! :D They look wicked as they are but I'll look forward to seeing 'em "done up"!

I haven't tried the mis-type / bad spelling searches for ages - that'll teach me! :lol:

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:12 pm

A couple of pics of my new aquisitions.......

The open wagon:
Image

The brake (with a surprising amount of interior detail) :
Image

Image

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:04 pm

How about a dewinton for £15?
Image
Image
Image

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Wow, I love that. I will give you £25 for it.... :D

Seriously, looks like a great loco. Any details on it & does it work?

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:41 pm

It works! the single acting cylinder drives a fltwheel before driving through a 9:1 gearbox to the wheels. It is meths fired but im building a gas tank and have bought a ceramic burner for it. the boiler is brass so I'm also going to wip up a new boiler! Should be a novelty if nothing else

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:08 pm

Pendo Pilot wrote:Wow, I love that. I will give you £25 for it.... :D

Seriously, looks like a great loco. Any details on it & does it work?
I'll give you £30  :lol:  :roll:  ;)  sorry had too, what a bargain! (Is this the DeWinton you were on about?, Can't I jst buy it off you ;) )
Thanks
Jack

Crackingjob

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:27 pm

I am interested in the reverser, as i have a Regner Max and need to sort one out....maybe when you strip it down you can show how it works?

Crackingjob

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:57 pm

You complete B*****. :lol: Very well done Matt but how can you replace major parts like that, it is a heratige loco. Dont supose the same guy has a few more for sale ?

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:59 pm

Afraid not dan. I have to replace the boiler really as its brass which is now Illegal to use as a pressure vessel. what do you fire your falcon on dan?

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Its meths fired using a ring burner, Brian posted a picture of the under side of Falcon in the Butterly open day thread actually.

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:07 pm

cheers dan, Im going to use a ceramic burner under this one. Falcon been running recently?

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:13 pm

It has actually on a quite steep hill which it did at its usual speed both up and down. Where did you hear that brass is now illegal ?

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Nigel town, aka Mr chairman told me. As brass is not strong enough for a pressure vessel really as it bows and buckles easier than copper. Its an ECU regulation now and there for you are not insured when using a brass boiler.

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Post by TonyW » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:16 pm

Sir haydn wrote:Nigel town, aka Mr chairman told me. As brass is not strong enough for a pressure vessel really as it bows and buckles easier than copper. Its an ECU regulation now and there for you are not insured when using a brass boiler.
Does this only apply to new boilers, or existing ones too? A search of the www reveals precisely nothing on this topic.

It is not that they won't take the pressure but more to do with water leaching the zinc out of the brass and so weakening it.

There are a *lot* of brass boilers out there, with all pre-1990ish Roundhouse locos having them, thousands of Mamod traction engines, etc., most Wilesco engines, Bowmans, Bassett-Lowkes, etc.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:22 pm

It applies to new boilers, but insurance companies have started to decide they arnt going to cover them ( government scarmongering) so old boilers are technically ok although there is talk of limiting testing pressures to 120 PSI and running pressures to 40 PSI. this ofcourse means that archangel locos safety valves will have to be re sat from 60 to 40 PSI. I think there is going to be somthing about it in the november SMT

Endless, Nameless

Post by Endless, Nameless » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Sir haydn wrote:Afraid not dan. I have to replace the boiler really as its brass which is now Illegal to use as a pressure vessel. what do you fire your falcon on dan?
Has anyone told Regner? :?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 54 guests