Yr Hen Felin & Yr Orsaf Newydd

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5719
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Re: Yr Hen Felin & Yr Orsaf Newydd

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 05, 2026 11:08 am

I have been using three position switches since I first began building 16mm stock for my garden railway. Where I got the idea from I have no idea but I usually purchase from Component Shop (other suppliers are available). Single pole switches are available in the toggle range, but I'm unsure whether slide switches are made that way too....
100_2003.JPG
100_2003.JPG (589.91 KiB) Viewed 66 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

User avatar
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 8006
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Yr Hen Felin & Yr Orsaf Newydd

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 05, 2026 12:53 pm

That certainly does look like a very successful build. Glad you got the wheels sorted. I've not yet been brave enough to try 3D printed wheels on any of my loco builds. This gives me hope.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

gilfachphil
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:00 am
Location: West Wales

Re: Yr Hen Felin & Yr Orsaf Newydd

Post by gilfachphil » Mon Oct 05, 2026 2:30 pm

The switch used in this instance is particularly small and has been in my 'this'll come in useful some day' box for many years.

For comparison here is one next to a similar one to that in Peter's post:-
IMG_6175.jpeg
IMG_6175.jpeg (496.53 KiB) Viewed 36 times
it had to be glued to the aluminium plate since the shank is not threaded,

Phil

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5719
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Re: Yr Hen Felin & Yr Orsaf Newydd

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:20 pm

Thanks for the comparison Phil, the toggle switch, which I prefer, has a body only 13mm long by 6.5mm wide. The arm is 10mm long but can be shortened if required. Both types have their uses dependent on location, but each provide a centre off position.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests