Stupid question

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Stupid question

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:03 pm

I have heard is said that if you don't ask stupid questions you never learn anything so here is mine.

Having just avidly read the new 16mm Handbook I find that reverse curves are to be avoided. What is a reverse curve :oops:

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:32 pm

An S bend

btw Isn't that 16mm handbook a work of art. Can't put it down!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Re: Stupid question

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Sir Clothem Cap:61843 wrote:Having just avidly read the new 16mm Handbook I find that reverse curves are to be avoided.
LOLROFLAO!!!

That's another rule I have broken, then! Actually when I cannot avoid a reverse curve I always put a short stretch - at least a foot - of straight track between the two componants of the curve. I think what you are actually meant to avoid is going straight from a right-hander into a left-hander (or left to right) as it causes problems with buffer interlock and stuff like that.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:55 pm

What is this 16mm handbook you speak of? (another stupid question) Is there some way to get a copy in Canada?

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:10 pm

The association of 16mm narrow guage modellers

www.16mm.org.uk

issue a quarterly magazine called 16mm today and once a year you get a handbook as well. Good value IMHO.
:D

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Not quite, you get the handbook when you join. This year though as a new one was made a copy was sent to exisitng members. In the past there has been wagon kits, brass etchings and one year a book.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, it's worth asking stupid questions

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:39 am

If reverse curves are to be avoided why do they have them on the prototype are we talking set track here of some tight radius or something. They wouldnt of built narrow gauge if this was the case!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:05 am

I am thinking that they are problematic when using tight radii. My curves tend to be 10' radius, so with a short straight section between I do not have problems with my reverse curves. However, imagine doing that with R1 or R2, and I think you can see why they tell you to avoid reverse curves.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:35 pm

I think the problem arises because most model rail track curves are
to a constant radius and when you go from say 3' rad one way abruptly to 3' rad the other you will get a pretty savage swing and maybe buffer lock and all that malarkey.

On a full size railway ( and some models) the curves are transitional
( mathematically known as a clothoid- or euler spiral).
This is where the curve starts imperceptably from straight and the curve gets tighter before flattening out into a straight line again.

If you've got the space its not difficult to plot a transitional curve but probably easier on an indoor layout on a baseboard.

Jerm
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Jerm » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:52 pm

This is a lesson I've personally learned several times in the smaller, indoor gauges/scales. I do now have quite a good size S curve in my garden - 3.25' radius, I think. I have a 1' straight piece between them and I haven't had a problem on that stretch, ever.