Having just avidly read the new 16mm Handbook I find that reverse curves are to be avoided. What is a reverse curve
Stupid question
- Sir Clothem Cap
- Driver

- Posts: 1708
- Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
- Location: Hampshire
- Contact:
Stupid question
I have heard is said that if you don't ask stupid questions you never learn anything so here is mine.
Having just avidly read the new 16mm Handbook I find that reverse curves are to be avoided. What is a reverse curve
Having just avidly read the new 16mm Handbook I find that reverse curves are to be avoided. What is a reverse curve
-
invicta280
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 676
- Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm
- Location: kent england
-
IrishPeter
Re: Stupid question
LOLROFLAO!!!Sir Clothem Cap:61843 wrote:Having just avidly read the new 16mm Handbook I find that reverse curves are to be avoided.
That's another rule I have broken, then! Actually when I cannot avoid a reverse curve I always put a short stretch - at least a foot - of straight track between the two componants of the curve. I think what you are actually meant to avoid is going straight from a right-hander into a left-hander (or left to right) as it causes problems with buffer interlock and stuff like that.
Peter in AZ
-
invicta280
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 676
- Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm
- Location: kent england
The association of 16mm narrow guage modellers
www.16mm.org.uk
issue a quarterly magazine called 16mm today and once a year you get a handbook as well. Good value IMHO.

www.16mm.org.uk
issue a quarterly magazine called 16mm today and once a year you get a handbook as well. Good value IMHO.
-
DLRdan
- Sir Clothem Cap
- Driver

- Posts: 1708
- Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
- Location: Hampshire
- Contact:
-
METHSSNIFFER
-
IrishPeter
I am thinking that they are problematic when using tight radii. My curves tend to be 10' radius, so with a short straight section between I do not have problems with my reverse curves. However, imagine doing that with R1 or R2, and I think you can see why they tell you to avoid reverse curves.
Peter in AZ
Peter in AZ
-
invicta280
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 676
- Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm
- Location: kent england
I think the problem arises because most model rail track curves are
to a constant radius and when you go from say 3' rad one way abruptly to 3' rad the other you will get a pretty savage swing and maybe buffer lock and all that malarkey.
On a full size railway ( and some models) the curves are transitional
( mathematically known as a clothoid- or euler spiral).
This is where the curve starts imperceptably from straight and the curve gets tighter before flattening out into a straight line again.
If you've got the space its not difficult to plot a transitional curve but probably easier on an indoor layout on a baseboard.
to a constant radius and when you go from say 3' rad one way abruptly to 3' rad the other you will get a pretty savage swing and maybe buffer lock and all that malarkey.
On a full size railway ( and some models) the curves are transitional
( mathematically known as a clothoid- or euler spiral).
This is where the curve starts imperceptably from straight and the curve gets tighter before flattening out into a straight line again.
If you've got the space its not difficult to plot a transitional curve but probably easier on an indoor layout on a baseboard.
-
Jerm
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 114
- Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:06 pm
- Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests