Track Relaying on the Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway.

What is your latest project?
Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Sat May 22, 2010 8:31 pm

Looks great Kev!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun May 23, 2010 7:51 pm

If i tried that here the track would sink during the first rainfall
It's going nowhere :D Brick base, concrete "weed block" with 2:2:1 Rowlands Mix ballast - the "earthy look" is due to the 2 parts compost and fades within a week.

New siding in use today :D Myfanwy being serviced between runs while Jane receives a little attention on the shed road.

Image

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun May 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Brill, I love the weedy earthy look you have got. I think I'd prefer it if the earthy look stayed!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun May 23, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks Zach, here's a photo from further back and you can see the main line which has really settled down now. With a bit of luck, the compost will encourage a bit of moss growth in the future (not in this weather though!)

The area beyond the coal staithes is yet to be given any scenic treatment.
Watch this space (or that space :D )

Image

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:58 pm

very nice!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm a couple of days late posting this, but I got caught up in the excitement of getting Victoria back with Sir Haydn's excellent detailing and lining!

One of the purposes of the Westwood &Loscoe Light Railway Co. is to provide a service for the local industries along the line. So over the weekend I've just put in the sidings for Matthew's Engineering.
Image

Brick / stone foundation with Rowlands Mix ballast.
Image

and this afternoon I've started a "backscene" to hide the neihbours fence in photo's of Westwood Station.
I had a sheet of expanded polistyrene packaging (rescued from beside another neihbours bin). I've carved an exaggerated roof slope with the bread knife, scribed detail and recesses for windows and doors with a soldering iron, painted with masonery paint and attached windows cut from a Ferrerro chocolate box (thanks for the tip Brian) and doors cut, scribed and painted from scrap plywood to create an ultra-low-relief row of cottages.

Railway Terrace
Image

They still need window frames and toning down a bit but, totally FREE and an afternoons work :D
(and I'm now doing a "proper" sign for "The Flag & Whistle" pub! :roll: )

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Looks excellent!

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:57 am

taliesin001 wrote:Looks excellent!
Seconded :D
Thanks
Jack

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:21 am

Thirded,
what do Mathews engineering make?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

cjallenby

Post by cjallenby » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:33 am

Lovely job 8) 8) Wish it took me an afternoon to make houses as good as that one!!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:20 pm

what do Mathews engineering make?
They produce "Precision Machined Parts For Industrial & Agricultural Equipment" :D that's a broad enough scope for incoming and outgoing boxes and crates etc.!

What's more, at weekends they're not unknown to do a bit of work "on-the-side" for the locals and the W&LLR itself :roll:

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:49 pm

Having spent too long "kitbashing" in 12ins to the Ft (actually fitting out our replacement van with bed, cooker, sink, shelving etc) :cry: I've actually got around to doing a bit on the railway! :D

Here's Blodwen being caught on camera standing in the loop with the new slate fencing.
(The inspector wasn't happy about access from the car park ;) )

Image

The coal staithes have also been moved, just need an office now :roll:

Image

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:29 pm

I recognise that truck! Isn't it the one from Postman Pat?

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:30 pm

I recognise that truck! Isn't it the one from Postman Pat?
Yep :D

It's one of my "leave outs" (along with what's-her-names' car also from Postman Pat, but with a driver doctored from the Early Learning Centre farmers wife!) that add a bit of "atmosphere" even on days when there's nothing running.
I like to just sit out having a coffee when I'm taking a break from whatever I'm doing (The Joys Of Working From Home! :D ) and gaze absent mindedly at the railway. :roll:

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Looking good mate, slate wall I like a lot. Nice atmosphere in those pics.

MoelygestLR

Post by MoelygestLR » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:31 pm

was the truck a kit that you had to put together yourself?

I saw one of them from hobbycraft very reasonably priced at roughly the right scale (although it didnt have a scale on the box) and was tempted but left it in the end. I may now be reconsidering!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:34 pm

was the truck a kit that you had to put together yourself?
No, it's not a kit, they're ready made kiddies toys. They were available from Woolies (rip) and then the discount sheds like Poundstretcher, B&M, etc for a couple of quid. :D

Speaking of kits though, does anyone know the approximate scale of the Airfix "Wallace & Grommit" van?

MoelygestLR

Post by MoelygestLR » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:30 pm

thats the one I was looking at!

I'll have to have a look around for that truck and i might get the airfix W&G van. I'm sure it will fit in somewhere!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests