Aster Kiso Baldwin

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Aster Kiso Baldwin

Post by dewintondave » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:54 am

Here's a short 3 video playlist of my loco build a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 4xL3OHSBz2

From the chassis test on compressed air, to steam test, then running on our line for the first time. The Aster Kiso Baldwin is an excellent runner.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Last edited by dewintondave on Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:50 pm

That looks splendid and well under control. Some of the track (particularly in the cutting) looks very "chunky" - what is it?
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:08 pm

MDLR:108030 wrote:Some of the track (particularly in the cutting) looks very "chunky" - what is it?
That's my G gauge groovy track.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Best wishes,
Dave

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:29 am

Excellent smooth running from this particular loco, and a nice scale speed trip round the line. I like the idea of the cutting to ensure a reasonably flat track - and the innovative and economic track building approach taken on parts of the line.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:04 am

I think Brian is referring to the track here:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:10 pm

BaBBLR:108036 wrote:I think Brian is referring to the track here
No - dewintondve got it right!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:03 am

Original write-up:

" Sunday the 30th of September saw the first proper run of the Aster Kiso Baldwin, outside in the garden. It was a lovely summer-like spring day. In my inexperience I overfilled the boiler when doing the preps in the workshop - Oil, Water, Meths. The boiler is filled using a 10 mL syringe applied to a valve fitting at the top of the bunker at the back of the loco. I had filled the boiler until water spurted out of the blower nozzle and up the funnel. It wasn't a problem, I just had to open the blower valve as the boiler warmed up and the steam raising suction fan distributed it about nicely. I lit the loco inside the workshop as it was quite windy. The loco was unaffected by the gusts of wind when outside.

In the video the distinctive hissing sound is the blower, I left it on nearly all the time as I learnt about driving the loco. The bypass valve was closed mostly all the time - pumping water into the boiler near continuous. On only one occasion did the loco start priming - with water coming out the exhaust or blower nozzle.

I regularly stopped the loco to service it in steam. When previously steam testing it on blocks I noticed that all the steam oil had been consumed in the two quite short runs. So every 10 minutes or so I drained the lubricator and refilled. I wanted the loco to be particularly well oiled in the running-in phase. At the same time I topped up the water tank and topped up the meths tank, with the loco in steam. With the meths tank the control valve can be shut off while filling, there is enough capacity in the sump for a few seconds, the valve has to be shut off though or the burners would flood with the head of meths above them, the meths tank is tall and narrow and sits in the water tank.

The run was very pleasing, we pulled our standard train of four open LGB trucks and a LGB van. The loco has a fine sounding exhaust, a chuff pipe is not required. The loco was in steam for about an hour."

Best wishes,
Dave.
Best wishes,
Dave

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Very impressive Dave. Always thought it a shame that Aster don't produce anything much in 32mm.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:50 pm

dewintondave:108033 wrote:
MDLR:108030 wrote:Some of the track (particularly in the cutting) looks very "chunky" - what is it?
That's my G gauge groovy track.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Dave, how have you found this track to be in terms of durability? I'm considering building a small line outdoors in the courtyard at the back of my house and I can't afford to buy commercial track.
What has Reality done for you lately?

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:50 pm

Annie:116151 wrote:Dave, how have you found this track to be in terms of durability?  I'm considering building a small line outdoors in the courtyard at the back of my house and I can't afford to buy commercial track.
Hi Annie, It was durable, the sleepers held up well over the years. The aluminium strip is available in the big DIY places. I used it because there was no NZ Rail at the time. Now Graeme Quayle has reintroduced it. I have recently replaced mine with "Quayle Rail".

Best wishes,
Dave
Best wishes,
Dave

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:56 pm

Thanks Dave :) I've found the details for 'Quayle Rail' too which gives me another option. I remember buying some 'Quayle rail' a good many years ago now, but then I couldn't find it anymore. Good to know it's back on the market again.
What has Reality done for you lately?