Getting turnout and track ice free

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
McRuss
Cleaner
Cleaner

Getting turnout and track ice free

Post by McRuss » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Hello,

today I encountered a problem with my garden railway. During the last three days here in southern Germany it snowed quite a lot.
So I decided yesterday to clear the tracks of my garden railway roughly from the snow, so that I hadn't to clear all when I decided to run some trains. Today I thought about giving my Ragleth a winter steam up. I went to the gardenrailway and had to clear it again from snow, because during the night it snowed again. Here I realized that the turnouts and on some spots the space between the rails was covered with layers of ice. I could remove most of the ice with a broom and a screw driver, but not all.
Is there a way to melt away the ice, or to protect the track from ice?

Markus

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:43 pm

car deicer works but test on a bit of track in case it melts the sleepers(v unlikely) or leave hot loco over that bit of track

McRuss
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by McRuss » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Hello Jay,

thank you for your reply. I thought about using some kitchensalt. Sprinkeled over the track and turnouts. Would these harm the track?

Markus

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:50 pm

Salt should be absolutely fine!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:21 am

Salt has been used on my line when 'in extremis.' Hot water is an occasional emergency measure, as are those el cheapo hand warmer things you find in drug stores, and service stations.  However, I usually get dry powder up here, so it does not clog things the way heavy wet snow does.  Usually a warm 'Millie' shifts anything that survives the Dutch hoe and a gentle attack with a screw driver.  FWIW, my snow clearing talents might get a work out tomorrow as we are due 3 to 6 inches over the next 24 hours.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

steampig
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steampig » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:10 am

For the similar problem of car doors that have frozen immovably shut when water has got into the seals, I have used a hair-dryer on an extension cord.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:03 am

The local Gauge 1 group in Switzerland group runs a New Year´s Day session, but ONLY if there is snow. I understand that car de-icer is their best friend for points / turnouts / whatever, which are all manually controlled.