2.4 rc

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Post Reply
Big Jim

2.4 rc

Post by Big Jim » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:56 pm

This may sound a silly question.
I know you can bind more than one reciver to a single transmitter but can you bind more than one transmitter to a single reciver.
I want to fit rc to most of my locos but don't want to be overrun with transmitters but I would like the flexabilty of having say 8 locos that could be controlled by any one of possibly 3 transmitters.

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Re: 2.4 rc

Post by TonyW » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:41 pm

I have done exactly what you describe using Planet T5 sets...

When in binding mode, the receiver searches for a transmitter signal and from that moment on will only take commands from that transmitter. The transmitter does not know how many receivers it is talking to.

I have three transmitters that control several locos each. The reason I have three is due to the different orientation of the servos on each loco. For example, left stick up may be full regulator on one loco, but closed regulator on another. So that all of the transmitters work in the same way I have used the "channel reverse" switches to cope with the different set up on each loco.

Any new loco that comes along is bound to each transmitter in turn until I find the one that matches the loco's servo orientation.

Doing it this way makes double-heading of certain pairs of locos very easy!

If you use a Spektrum or similar "computer" transmitter you can define a number of models within the transmitter, all with their own unique programming and characteristics.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

User avatar
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2372
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:50 pm

My understanding of the Spektrum/Orange RX DSM/DSM2/DSMX systems is that the receiver will register the transmitter ID (GUID) when you bind them together. However if you bind the receiver to a different transmitter the stored transmitter ID will be changed.

Just tried this.

Spektrum DX6i DSM2 transmitter bound to Orange RX R615 DSM2 receiver - throttle channel operates OK.

Blade DSMX transmitter bound to same R615 receiver - throttle channel works OK. However this receiver no longer recognises the Spektrum DX6i and so will not bind to it.

So you can operate the locomotive using several transmitters but you need to bind it to the required transmitter. Change the transmitter and you need to re-bind the receiver.

I have no experience of the Planet T5 systems.

Chris Cairns

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:43 am

I've done the same with a Planet set. I was lucky enough to have received two additional receivers with a s/h lady anne and managed to convert my cricket that was 27mhz. Last one is bound for a manual Danny but still waiting to pluck up the courage.

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Post by TonyW » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:37 pm

One thing to watch out for with the Planet T5 sets is that they can increase the throw of the servos in an existing installation. This is OK for the regulator as it can be easily adjusted to compensate, but the reverser servo might need some mechanical attention to stop it trying to push the valve gear too far and causing a load on the servo.

On the Spektrum and other computer sets you can, of course, set the start and end points of each servo's throw, so avoiding this problem.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks for the advice Gentlemen,
I think a bit of playing around is going to be needed.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests