What scale on a tractor?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

What scale on a tractor?

Post by St.Michael » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:22 am

Hello everybody.
I´m thinking of ordering a booggie flat wagon , and ad an old tractor (or car) as a permanent load. When browsing the Ebay I find tractors in scale 1:16 and in 1:24. So the question is: Which size will fit my narrow guage railway in a scale of ca. 1:20?
As always, thankfull for answers :D
With regards from Michael

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:32 am

Buy both, and try them both on your wagon. Then choose the one that looks best as permanent load.
The other tractor will be nice along the line as trackside details.
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Re: What scale on a tractor?

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:07 pm

St.Michael:79518 wrote:Hello everybody.
I´m thinking of ordering a booggie flat wagon , and ad an old tractor (or car) as a permanent load. When browsing the Ebay I find tractors in scale 1:16 and in 1:24. So the question is: Which size will fit my narrow guage railway in a scale of ca. 1:20?
As always, thankfull for answers :D
With regards from Michael
If this is a serious question, 1/20 will look like a small tractor and 1/16 will look like a big one!
If it's a joke, I don't get it :scratch:

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:20 pm

I find it often difficult to find other objects to fit within the different scales in garden railways. :(

When I'm looking for figures or vehicles in different toy-shops, I often find something that could be appropriate to the 1:19-scale but without actually being that scale.
The tractor in 1:16-scale could well be placed in some distance to the track, and yet be something that look OK.
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:17 pm

Well.. I´ve ordered one in 1:16, and plan to make it smaller (with a saw) if necessary. An other solution, would be to buy another in a smaller scale, and then mix different parts so it gets aproximate the right size in the end...

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 pm

Well I hope you've also worked out what era your railway is set in!! As the wife of an ex agricultural engineer i became quite 'into' tractors which became bigger over the years!! A little grey Fergie T20 is just that quite small as compared to a John Deere or whatever a few years later! So depending in what you've got could also depend on size! Strangely the MPLR has about 3 tractors all purchased from eBay but then also kit bashed and reprinted! :lol:

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:41 am

Mrs F Controller:80091 wrote:Well I hope you've also worked out what era your railway is set in!! As the wife of an ex agricultural engineer i became quite 'into' tractors which became bigger over the years!! A little grey Fergie T20 is just that quite small as compared to a John Deere or whatever a few years later! So depending in what you've got could also depend on size! Strangely the MPLR has about 3 tractors all purchased from eBay but then also kit bashed and reprinted!  :lol:
Older farm machinery is very much smaller than more modern examples. If you want an old grey Fergie you could get away with 1:16 but if you wanted a more recent example you could get away with 1:24, just be careful about putting examples of both close to each other.
These models tend to be expensive and I would have problems weathering them let alone having a go with a saw.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:32 pm

I quite agree Andy with all you've said! We first purchased a Fordson which according to my husband scale wise was too big and too old (but not to look at) for the 'time' of the MPLR so he stripped some paint off and used some 'rust' on it. Then we just left it on the trackside and nature did the rest!

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Thank you for interesting thoughts. I have by now bougt two tractors on ebay. The first one was listed as 1:18 scale. I had my doubts, but I bought it because it looked so funny. And as I suspected it is far to big ;) I guess the scale is more 1:12. So this is the beginnig of going up a scale :lol:  :lol: No.. I gave it to my children (the green one)  I kept searching on ebay and found the red tractor wich is 1:16  modell-47
And this is a small tractor in reallity, so I think I´ll do just a few surgical interventions, and I get exactly what I´ve imagined
Imageπ
Imageπ
As You can see it´s glossy red. I want it to be shabby and rusty, so I ask you if someone can advice me in ways of rusting and misstreating the poor thing?
Regards to you all.
Michael
Ps. The timeperiod  of my line is somwhere in the fifties (just like me)

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:12 pm

St.Michael:80113 wrote: As You can see it´s glossy red. I want it to be shabby and rusty, so I ask you if someone can advice me in ways of rusting and misstreating the poor thing?

Ps. The timeperiod  of my line is somwhere in the fifties (just like me)
The Farmall model A was a very small tractor, think market garden, or dairy farm. They were in production until 1954, so in the mid '50s it could be dirty and maybe a bit faded, but wouldn't have had time to rust to any extent.

You were talking at one stage about putting it on a flatcar, in which case for anyone to bother sending a tractor by train it would be brand new and being delivered to a dealer .......

A really rusty tractor in the '50s would be something built in the '20s, like a Fordson Model F, which would have been 30+ years old by then. See this model for some inspiration. ;)

http://blog.modeljunkyard.com/2012/06/0 ... n-model-f/.

Half of all tractors built in the '20s were Fordsons, so there were a lot of them quietly rusting away under a tree in the back paddock by the '50s.

Regards,
Graeme

Peter L
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Peter L » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:14 pm

Believe it or not those look to be about right. Farmall made some very tiny tractors for orchard use.

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:42 pm

Very interesting thinking! The age of the little red tractor contra the time period of the line contra wear, didn´t fell into my mind. I may not have thought of such heavy rust as on the Fordson example, but it has to look as it´s been used and have marks and scratches and some rust.
And now to the question of scale (very bad photos, I know :oops: ):
The man in front of the tractors will in a scale of 1:20 be about 180cm high. I think the pictures talk for them selves here:
Imageπ
Imageπ
Hope you get my point ;)

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:27 am

St.Michael:80145 wrote: The man in front of the tractors will in a scale of 1:20 be about 180cm high. I think the pictures talk for them selves here:
Figures are always a good way to check the scale. Peter Jones advocated carrying a cutout cardboard figure in your chosen scale in the wallet for checking things like this. Don't know how you do that on Ebay though.......

That 1:16 model of the little Farmall A looks to be about the size in 1:20 of the big Farmall M designed for wide acre farming like wheat farms. UK made ones were model BM and would be the ones most likely to turn up in Europe I'd guess.

If you do a google image search for Farmall M tractor, you'll find a lot of photos, mostly of restored ones, but there are some farm auction pages showing what many years of hard work can do to one.

Graeme

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:41 pm

IF you're coming to Peterboroyugh, look out Triassic models - they do a (laser cut and marked) rule which just over six scale feet long and sits happily in my wallet.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:06 pm

MDLR wrote: look out Triassic models
Triassic Models no longer exists - Does Jurassic Models make a similar scale ruler (it is not listed in their on-line price list)?

Chris Cairns.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:13 pm

Chris Cairns:80300 wrote:Triassic Models no longer exists - Does Jurassic Models make a similar scale ruler (it is not listed in their on-line price list)?
Sorry - my fault - got my geological era mixed up! Like the loco tool boxes, they're only available directly from them at shows.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks Brian, some more items for my Peterborough shopping list.

Chris Cairns.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:58 pm

With Thanks to Brian as above, a visit to the Jurassic Models stall was near the top of my Peterborough 'To Do' list.

A very simple but most effective ruler which should be in everyone's 16 mm workshop or toolbox.

The ruler is 6' tall at a scale of 16 mm (demonstrated by my Jon's D2 driver purchase), has a useful scale ruler etched down one side, and the width of the ruler is 28 mm (demonstrated by my just out of gauge Mamod wheels), the recommended wheel back to back for running on 32 mm track.

And more importantly there were Free!

I did purchase 2 of his equally simple but useful laser cut toolboxs for some locomotive enhancement.

Chris Cairns.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Chris Cairns:82824 wrote:A very simple but most effective ruler which should be in everyone's 16 mm workshop or toolbox.
I actually keep mine in my wallet, in case I spot a figure or building unexpectedly......................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:03 pm

I forgot to pick some tool boxes up, Damn! knew I'd forgotten something - as for portable scale rulers - I use my index finger...
The railway which people forgot
(to build)