An impolite source of coupling chains

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Post Reply
User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

An impolite source of coupling chains

Post by Keith S » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:12 pm

I have found a source of good looking three-link coupling chains! The other day Mrs. Keith was complaining about water leaking inside the W.C.

I looked inside the water tank and discovered the little rubber flapper valve was deteriorated and wanted replacing. So I went to the shop and discovered the replacement part came with a new chain. At first I thought it was a metal chain painted black, but when I pulled out the old one I discovered it was plastic. Our water is slightly chlorinated, and I suppose this over time caused the plastic to go a reddish grey colour.

Anyway, I tried a bit of the old chain on my train and it looks and works very well.
Image
Image

The plastic is strong, but snips easily with wire cutters. It looks better than the brass wire ones I made.

Gentlemen, if your W.C. leaks, fix it and use that chain.

benchmark

Post by benchmark » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Very ingeniously done. Lucky for my wife i do not have to raid the bathroom furniture, my local hardware store sells stainless steel chains for about £3 a foot.

Spule 4

Post by Spule 4 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Funny, I did just the same the other day in the master bath and came to a similar conclusion.

I am sure more toilets need to be fixed around here now for sure! :D

Mrs F Controller

Post by Mrs F Controller » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:26 pm

I had to laugh when I read the above posts because we ended up using the chain from our old cuckoo clock! :lol:

User avatar
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:36 am

I did the same with my old loo chain when I changed to a rear mounted cistern instead of a very old high on the wall cistern.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:24 pm

As my stock of suitable safety chain (smaller than coupling chain) is running low, I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a handy source?

User avatar
williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:20 pm
Location: York

Post by williamfj » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Maritime modelling sources?

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:39 pm

williamfj:72762 wrote:Maritime modelling sources?
Sounds a good bet - unfortunately it won't be "local" though, we recently lost our last local model shop (queue sad music) :cry:


Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:16 pm

EeBay Gum (Tree)! that looks good! ;)

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Otherwise, you could try Gee Dee in Nottingham..............

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests