Frost Heave

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Post Reply
Narrow Minded

Frost Heave

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Typical! I'm on the last leg of a major re-alignment of part of my line and looking forward to an improvement in the weather to get it finished, then relax for a bit running trains - and I've experienced 'Frost Heave' on a couple of the "old" sections!!! :?

The wall to the left of Westwood platform and the right half of the platform itself ( strangely, the left half is untouched!? ) have been pushed up and forward towards the line, while the loop at Loscoe has lifted vertically!

This is the first time the W&LLR has been hit by this phenomena - anyone else suffered this year (yet) ???

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:22 pm

I've had it on a few sections the past couple of winters, it normally means I end up having to rebuild some of the slate wall round the headland, and my trackbed has cracked in a couple of places as a result of it but touch wood (!) it hasn't happened yet this year

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:12 am

I've just been out and had a look at the affected bits and last nights temperatures have made it worse :cry:

User avatar
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:05 pm

I would try removing anything thats saveable as damage limitation is the only option until the cold snap passes.

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Having seen Greg's line, his problem is that he can't put any down in the way of robust foundations as he rents the house, so I suspect this is something he has to live with................

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests