Frustrating problem with my Ragleth!

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Frustrating problem with my Ragleth!

Post by James from Devon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi All

So I am hoping for a little help and advice here...

My Ragleth has developed a rather annoying issue where it struggles to maintain boiler pressure late into its run. First 10 mins are fine, the loco can maintain 50psi while pulling 5/6 wagons at low or faster speed but then pressure drops to 20/30psi and stays there unless I stop the loco in which case it quickly rises back to 50/60psi.

I have checked for obvious leaks but found none, the loco rolls freely and lubricator performing as expected.

The loco is 18 months old and has run perfectly since I got it, I steam her quite often. Last month she went off for RC to be fitted but has again, been steamed 10 times or so since and worked well.

Anyone else encountered this??

I am very grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Jim
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

merlin2
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by merlin2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:45 pm

Not had the problem, as described, with my Ragleth, but I did have an issue with the safety valve sticking open, which following a clean and reset did not really improve things a great deal, so I replaced it; I've had no further problems and a 40 psi pressure is maintained with ease. The only other thing that I can think of, if there are no leaks, is that the gas control valve is possibly restricting gas flow when it warms up; does the burner roar change when the steam pressure drop occurs? In which case a replacement is probably called for.
Sorry I cannot be of more help
Merlin

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Not had this happen on my Accucraft locos. If you are happy it is not an intermittent steam leak or a sticking safety valve, then sounds like the gas system.

Partially Blocked Gas Jet - These are harder to detect than the fully blocked jet, but are cleaned out the same way. The Jury is out on whether to fit coffee filter paper behind the gas jet to reduce/prevent these blockages - Tag Gorton recommends it, and I've adopted it, plus dropped using Go System butane gas, after suffering several blocked jets & 1 partially blocked jet - Dave Mees of AbbeyBach Engineering Services (Accucraft repair & service agent) is against fitting coffee filter paper, citing it reduces the gas pressure at the jet & some filter paper can be very fibrous, thus another source of blockage. Personally I've not had a problem using coffee filter paper, except one No.3 gas jet which has blocked once since using filter paper (I have now fitted a thicker swiss roll of paper this time).

Gas Regulator Valve 'O' Ring - I assume that you are turning down the gas as the gas tank heats up. The 'O' ring fitted to the gas regulator valve is known to become sticky/spongy, so may need lubricated. With an empty gas tank, fully unscrew the gas regulator valve & lubricate the 'O' ring with a little Vaseline. I've fitted my 3 Accucraft locos with The Train Department replacement gas regulator valve - these are now stocked by Simon at Anything Narrow Gauge.

Chris Cairns

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:06 pm

Just a thought, have you tried topping the boiler up after the first 10 minutes ?
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:08 pm

Hi All

Thanks for the replies. Very useful and gives me some things to try...

Dan - I can't top up with water as I don't have a quick fill valve on my loco.

Chris - Really helpful. Thanks. I will have a check on the safety valve but I think its fine. Interesting about the gas jet, I have a spare nozzle so will try fitting that. I now remember that I was finding the gas valve a little sticky so took it out and cleaned / oiled it. I think this may have been the night before the problems started so I will give that another check. I will pick up a new valve as I didn't know Simon stocked them, I have heard they are a big improvement.

Merlin - Thanks for that, no roaring of the gas and I think the safety valve is OK. I am going to check out the valve to be sure as noted above.

Thanks again for all the replies and advice, I really appreciate it.

I'll steam her tomorrow weather permitting and report back.

Many thanks

Jim
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the help.

I have cleaned the safety valve out and also replaced the gas jet and the loco seems to run fine now. Have steamed her a couple of time and all is good.

I am going to replace the gas valve as a matter of course.

Thanks again for all the advice, very much appreciated

Kind regards

Jim