Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Regner Vincent problem

Post by James from Devon » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Hi all.

This is my first ever post!

Firstly, a massive thanks to everyone who posts here. I am quite new to the hobby and nearly finished building my first line. I have found much useful advice and inspiration from this forum.

I have a new Regner Vincent in my collection. I have given it 2 hours of running in in each direction accompanied by much oil on all the moving parts. My problem is that it still seems a little erratic and loses speed as it runs while the pressure remains 2 1/2 bar... I have not experienced this with either my Chaloner or Konrad... do you think it needs more running in or is there anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance for any help

Jim
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:48 pm

While I am not familiar with regner locos. I would have thought that if the engine is running badly yet maintains pressure it would be a drive problem. Check that everything is that should be tight is tight and is getting enough oil. Check that the oil is being taken from the displacement lubricator.
While unlikely on a new engine check that the pressure gauge is not sticking at 2.5 bar, thus showing a higher pressure than is actually present.

Hopefully someone with more experience of regner locos will be along to give more advise soon.

Jim
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Hi James,

What oil are you using?

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi Jim

I think it is in the drive train somewhere but cant seem to find it. It turns over by hand fine. The pressure gauge is also OK, moves from 0-3 as it should.

Hi Tom

I am using 3 in 1 for the drive train and Kent Garden Railways 460 for the steam oil - the lubricator is draining with one gas fill, I do have the valve opened quite a way during the running in period as the Regner instructions state.

This one has me a little perplexed!

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

Jim
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:42 pm

Check to see you have enough side play on the flywheel shaft. I had a similar problem with my Vincent last year where when it got hot that shaft was binding, so moving the flywheel out slightly solved the problem.

You will also find it runs better with a little more slack in the chain than the instructions state. The chain does stretch with use and eventually you will run out of adjustment if you stick to the slack in the instructions.

A tip I picked up for geared Regners is to use steam oil on the gears/chain. Cuts down the noise a lot, but does mean you have to be more laborious with your post run clean up & re-lubrication as the steam oil attracts more dirt, grit, etc.

Chris Cairns

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi Chris

Thanks for that tip. I will have a go at that. When the loco arrived the chain adjuster was loose so I set it to the 2mm slack and I did think this may have been a bit tight.

Good idea about the steam oil on the gears - I'll give that a go as well.

I would have a look now but typically, it's hammering with rain!

Thanks again, I'll report back.

Jim

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Hello and welcome!

I've got a vincent (sadly in need of some refurbishment of the bearings after many miles) and can say what a wonderful loco they are.
Just a thought if all else fails. Could it be taking too much oil? This would mean that at some point during the run it stops getting oil as its all gone through and then starts to seize up even though the pressure stays constant. How many turns on the upper hand wheel on the lubricator have you given it?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi Mr Bond and thanks for the welcome and the tips.

I did take a closer look today following the advice from Chris. I slackened off the chain slightly more than the instructions and also gave the flywheel 10 though clearance from the cylinder block. Gave it 2 runs this afternoon and it runs perfectly! Even managed nice slow steady speed with 3 x Swift Sixteen tankers which is quite a heavy load.

Thanks so much for the advice... Vincent back on the rails!

I do love the Regner models and my Konrad and Chaloner get a lot of use. It's a shame they are discontinuing so many of the easy line range.

Mr Bond.. I think you own the blue tender version of the Vincent? can I say that looks fantastic, lovely conversion you did there. I may do something similar!

Here is my Kondrad which has had much use over the last year and also been a little modified and weathered:

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:55 pm

Gulliver looks a real workhorse of an engine!

DVLR No. 2 has a tender and was painted by Tony Wilmore of Rhos Helyg loco works into what would become DVLR standard livery. I bought it at an East Anglian railway show from Paul Perryman. It was 32mm gauge so he ripped off the wheels and sold it to me at a lower price! Paul seems to always have a few tenders for sale at the shows and they cost 15 pounds I think.

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz2 ... G_1569.jpg
The railway which people forgot
(to build)