Misting varnish

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Misting varnish

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:01 am

Morning all!

I finally snuck out the workshop last night for the first time in a while to try and get some more progress on my fleet of carriages that I built about 18 months ago for my wedding. I've varnished two out of 4 about 2 weeks ago and all was fine. However, I varnished the brake on Sunday and touched up the varnish on this carriage (having got a thumb print on it). However, when I checked them this morning, I found to my horror that the varnish has reacted, and gone matt (not what I was after). I'm a bit lost as to why this happened. Possibly too cold when spraying (though I kept the can near a heater so it wasn't too cold)? Is there anything I can do to save the paint job? Or is it a sand down and start again.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Click to see full size image

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:23 am

I find spray varnish is more likely to do this. The problem is humidity
water being trapped in the misting effect. Always give the can a good shake and while you are doing it. Keep the can and room at the same temperature. Now you have this try re dusting that corner, in other words a quick second coat to the misted area. If that is not acceptable a rub down and start again. personally I think a satin varnish is a better look. Gloss is too shiney, the reason for this is atmosphere. we look at things far way through atmosphere. A gloss car viewed from 1000 yards only looks satin. As our models are reduced in size, it's as though we look at the real thing from a distance. Each to his own on this one mind.

vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:51 am

So thats try a further coat to see if it takes it away? I'll have a go this evening. The problem I think is the workshop is very cold and damp, which only leaves the house to spray in, which I can't do. I'll have a go when I get home this evening.

I prefer satin coat as well. But I have yet to find a spray varnish which is Satin. The one I used was supposed to be satin. The one I have found closest to a satin finish is the halfords matt! :roll:

Thanks for the help.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:08 am

vjoneslong5040:96268 wrote:
I prefer satin coat as well. But I have yet to find a spray varnish which is Satin.

Have you tried Phoenix- Precision?

PV72 Satin Varnish 150ml Aerosol
http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/pv62-gl ... ish-1.html
Philip

vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:10 am

No I haven't. Did even know you could buy online. I might give those a go if I have to repaint.

Resurgam05
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Resurgam05 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:18 am

I too can recommend the Phoenix Satin Varnish.

As has been said before, it (and all Satin sprays) needs a reasonably long and vigorous shake before use, to ensure the satin/matting agent mixes properly.
Best Wishes

David Williams

vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:58 pm

I gave it a flipping long hard shake before the 1st and again before the 2nd, so I don't think it mixing was a problem. What I don't get is that I did everything the same as I normally do, and yet this time its misted up and gone funny whereas before it was fine.

I wonder if the can has gone bad. My more pressing concern is can I recover the paint work otherwise its months of repainting.

vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:01 pm

Sorry I didn't mean to be ungrateful, I'm open to all suggestions. I'm just a little fed up as pretty much everything has gone wrong when I've got something very closed to finished. I've not successfully completed a wagon or carriage for months coz I've either screwed up something painting related or the damn cat has got in the workshop and destroyed it. :cry: Feel like giving up kit construction at the moment.....

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Don't worry, I'm sure we all know that feeling!
I suspect the problem is, as somebody said earlier, the coldness/dampness out in your shed. This weather is not conducive to outdoor painting!
Philip

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:43 pm

Don't forget humidity is the problem so a go in the same damp will give the same result. Do not feel down if you look at working coach they are patchy. Some rest in siding with the sun playing on one side. It looks a great coach so be proud of what you have made. We all get jobs going wrong it is life, the push past this is what makes us. If it was dead simple the satisfaction would be lacking. I think you have done a splendid job.

vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:10 am

Thanks for all the help guys. Last night I moved my spraying booth to the warmer end where I worked. I put a very light coat on then dashed it into the house to the really warm spare bedroom. It looks fine now! :D

I'm going to try a similar tactic to the misting on the brake, so keep your fingers crossed it will work.

I also managed to finish a wagon for the first time in months! Halle-flipping-lujah!

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:35 am

There is often power and ventilation in a garage. The way to remove damp is to have some form of background heat like a mini oil filled radiator timed to come on a night say. Also try to avoid putting wet things in it. Only an idea as I'm sounding bossy. Glad it went well, you are now empowered.

vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks for the help. I have a electric heater which does help a tiny bit, but the biggest problem is this garage is in such a state is nothing more than a open porch covered over. If owned the house I would knock it down and rebuild it but we are only renting so it will have to do for the moment. I guess the best thing is to spray it in workshop near the heater then dash it in to the house to dry in a warm room.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:52 am

Just shows how much we assume with this format of communication. Sorry I did not realise the garage was so open.

vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:59 am

No worries! It's a bit of a loosing battle against the damp. I have several moisture traps round the machinery but the opposite side has a huge puddle in one end from all the rain water getting in through the walls and roof. I'd like to knock it down but can't. Ah well, beggars can't be choosers.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 am

Life is full of change so I wish you a dry workshop soon. You HAVE done well considering the conditions you're working in. Well done you!

vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:00 am

I took this photo on Saturday evening of one corner of the workshop.

It wasn't particularly deep but its enough for concern. :| Fortunately the lathe is at the slightly drier end of the workshop well covered. Well, it could be worse, it could have been underwater. :roll: