My first "New" locomotive

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

My first "New" locomotive

Post by RSB » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Well since I have become envolved in making my own garden railway, all the locos so far have been second hand, until today when my new loco arrrived - a Accucraft Leader, based upon a Kerr Stuart Brazil class loco.

Its in dark blue, not the colour it would have been in when working for a living, but a colour that I've begun to like since its almost identical to the blue my 7 1/4 inch Bagnall is painted.

Here are a few photos (not the best quality) of the loco during its first steaming on the office desk.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Congratulations on your first new loco :D
I remember the feeling 8)

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:13 pm

I too love opening up a new loco, from seeing the big box to slowly getting glimpses through the layers of wrapping :D
Looks like you've got a nice loco there. I did have one on order from track shack but had to cancel because I had just bought a russell. We'll see what stoneleigh brings :D

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:32 pm

She'll look well once she's been run in and you've added bits and pieces to her.

Are you going to paint the cab roof black?
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RSB » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:05 pm

MDLR:47827 wrote:She'll look well once she's been run in and you've added bits and pieces to her.

Are you going to paint the cab roof black?
The cab roof is painted black on the outside - shame they don't paint the inside of the cab cream, I don't want to spoil the factory finish doing it!

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:50 am

I will guarantee that Mr Bond will say "Very nice, just needs a white roof now" :lol:

George
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by George » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:28 pm

VERY nice loco :P :D
George also known as Sharky

North Norfolk Railway TTI & Cleaner

http://sandnlr.webs.com/
(\__/)
(='.'=)  
(")_(")

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:45 pm

It is cirtainly a nice loco and a nice colour! The red cranks look excellent, will have to paint the ones on my excelsior.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:47858 wrote:It is cirtainly a nice loco and a nice colour! The red cranks look excellent, will have to paint the ones on my excelsior.
:shock: What? No comment on roof colour???

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:00 pm

No that would be far too predictable...

(would look better though)
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:02 pm

I really fancy one of those, split between a new Leader or a secondhand lady anne.

Yours is the first one I have seen outside of accucraft website pics. Looks even better..You have got to let me know how well it steams & how strong it is! ;)

Nice one & yes opening up a box with a brand new or even secondhand loco in it, what a feeling.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:25 pm

I didn't realise that she came with a sight glass and top-up valve 'til I saw your pic's.
That'll teach me to read the small print in the adverts! :roll:

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:26 pm

lovely :D
i'v seen one go, and they do so very very well. roundhouse are getting a run for their money recently.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Narrow Minded:47872 wrote:I didn't realise that she came with a sight glass and top-up valve 'til I saw your pic's.
Actually Iwas going to ask as well & now thinking about it I remember reading about it...DOh!
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Pendo Pilot:47864 wrote:I really fancy one of those, split between a new Leader or a secondhand lady anne.

Nice one & yes opening up a box with a brand new or even secondhand loco in it, what a feeling.
Not tempted by this then Shane??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Roundhouse-Atlant ... 5197ad9ce6

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RSB » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:52 pm

To be honest I think the built quality of the Leader is very high.
I don't think there is anything I would change about the Leader, the cab is nicely layed out, a proper regulator hand apposed to a plastic one. Another feature I like is that the safety valve is enclosed in a dome with the dummy scale safety valves above it, yet with the aid of a allen key is easily accessible if required.

I have a early Edrig and from what I can see they have taken on board some of the faults (i.e paint on smokebox door burning off) and rectified them, for instance there is now a disk of insulation wool sandwiched between the door and an alley plate held in situ with the smokebox door dart & a nut.

When steamed for the first time it ran faultlessly, very smooth and controllable under low pressure, I certainly don't think it will require any running in time.

I own a two Roundhouse locos, a Mille and a Lady Anne, and I would say that the built quality certainly matches them, the only difference I would say is the paint finish on the Roundhouse locos are of a higher quality.

Price wise I know i would rather a Leader than a Millie / Bertie even is its approx £70 dearer.

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:40 pm

Keith&Joanna:47883 wrote:strange you mention the paint finish, as i consider the paintjob on my accucraft lawley finer than my roundhouse engines who's paint is somewhat thickly applied all over.
I agree with that. The roundhouse locos seem to have paint around the rivets from where it has been applied too thickly, therefore some of the detail is lost. My Earl has a much better finish and there is no sign of thickly applied paint. It's also in satin which i personally think enhances the model whereas all roundhouse locos are gloss.

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RSB » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Keith&Joanna:47883 wrote:strange you mention the paint finish, as i consider the paintjob on my accucraft lawley finer than my roundhouse engines who's paint is somewhat thickly applied all over.
I suppose its all down to personal preference, I have a Caradoc where the paint is very thin on one side tank, where as the other side is covered considerably better, thus giving an almost satin finish one side and a gloss the other, where as on my Millie the paint is very glossy with a mirror like finish/

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Accucraft use a Baked on Enamel paint which is applied thinner and I find is less hard wearing than roundhouses 2 pack paint. 2 pack is really quite hard to apply thinnly) Also the Accucraft rivits are machine punched so are more defined than the roundhouse ones.
The only thing I find about Accucraft is the QC and the piston valves.

They have done a lovely job with the Kerr Stuart, It shows the development from the excelsior!

Nice model!

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:34 pm

i prefer the accucraft paint

the roundhouse paint is far far to shiny, an has a finish that looks like its been hammered.