Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
KNO3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by KNO3 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:20 pm

Beautiful work!
The only way to avoid a lot of condensation is to provide for adequate ventilation. Your house should have an opening somewhere at the top and another one at the bottom, made such that rain water can't get in. You could perhaps use the chimneys for that.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:33 pm

fantastic building peter I do love the brickwork effect looks brilliant

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:51 pm

Beautiful work as usual , KNO3 beat me to it, using the chimney. It would be a simple job to build a Dorade Box inside as per the drawing if you were concerned about "Occasional" rain water.

The chimney being right up high would provide the necessary ventilation I'm sure.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:26 pm

I could make that fit into the roof space Grant, although the chimney itself is sealed at the top. Is this an idea to re-direct water coming into the building or to reduce condensation? Or both!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:16 am

Sorry Peter, my poor description. Both to re-direct, and ventilate.
 Was suggesting you open the chimney at the top,(chimney pots perhaps) and if any of that occasional rain you get goes down the chimney it only goes as far as the Dorade box (named after the Yawl "Dorade" on which they were first used) and out the small hole at the side, disguised as an overflow of some sort with a streak of stain below it perhaps :lol::lol:.    
 Ventilation still has free come and go via the circuitous path over the sides of the box.
Grant.
PS box sized to account for amount of rainfall, perhaps very deep in your case. Shall take tongue out of cheek now!!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:29 am

LNR:121375 wrote:
PS box sized to account for amount of rainfall, perhaps very deep in your case. Shall take tongue out of cheek now!!
You don't know how close you are to the truth there Grant..... after the recent rainfall we have experienced here the whole structure would be needed to accommodate the box!
I do have some cast resin chimney pots on order which could be drilled out and a pipe fitted to direct the water into the box.  The outflow pipe could represent an overflow from an interior water tank.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Hello Peter,

Thanks to internet connectivity (or the lack thereof!) I've been missing out on progress. :evil:

My praise of your work has been fulsome in the past so I'm almost lost for words now. This latest piece of work is really a work of art. It looks like it's been built from individual components, brick by brick. I honestly doubt that it would have looked quite so stunning if it had!

Well done and thanks for the latest helping of inspiration. ;)
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:45 am

A little progress on the pub build.... windows fitted and a large lantern above the door invites customers into the comfortable and friendly bar.
Again, Poundland have supplied something suitable for modellers, the lantern is one of a set of six, 3v LED Christmas lights just waiting to be put to better use......

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:51 am

Good old Poundland - I have various houses lit by their LED set ups
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:16 pm

Can't wait to see it insitu Peter.
Have you thought of a name yet. Railway Arms perhaps?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:03 pm

that is rather bloody good peter I do like that building a lot .what are you going to call the pub ??? .

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:05 pm

I am looking for a suitable pub sign which is designed to live outdoors and is large enough to be stuck to the walls of the building at either end rather than a free-standing post. For this they need to be about 3" x 2" and printed on metal sheet. I'm sure that will reduce the choice but anything with a railway connection would be suitable.
Is there a supplier of such signs made to order?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Plenty of people who do printed metal signs and badges, but how many would be interested in a small single order. Have a word with Justprint in town, they may be able to print onto a plastic board for you if you supply the art work.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:33 am

Peter,
The thought that came to my mind was "Fridge magnets". I did a quick flick through ebay and there are a few, but not particularly relevant. However I did come across this company, who do customised signs which are probably a bit big, but it might be worth asking if they can do smaller?
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/jafgraphics/Pu ... 513&_pgn=3

Edited to add: Just found this... nice sign, shame about the loco! However they do seem to do quite a few signs.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Station-H ... eBOVTCm3pw
Philip

ossygobbin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ossygobbin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:12 pm

philipy:121477 wrote:Peter,
The thought that came to my mind was "Fridge magnets". I did a quick flick through ebay and there are a few, but not particularly relevant. However I did come across this company, who do customised signs which are probably a bit big, but it might be worth asking if they can do smaller?
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/jafgraphics/Pu ... 513&_pgn=3

Edited to add: Just found this... nice sign, shame about the loco! However they do seem to do quite a few signs.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Station-H ... eBOVTCm3pw
a nice GWR sign ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-12-Scale-Ra ... 20d048cb14

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:40 pm

Thanks Ossy and others, those dolls house signs are just what I'm looking for size-wise and for the image, but...... will they stand up to outdoor use?
I will follow up the suggestion and ask the supplier.
Meanwhile I have managed to print directly on to thin plasticard, so far with limited success but hope for better results. If this can be improved and a sealer put on the surface perhaps it will do the job? (and save me some money!!!!)

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:00 pm

Peter,
Reverting to my shop window posts, I have had some weatherproofing success using Blue Peter 'sticky back plastic':  Apply the picture to the plasticard/metal backing, trim it to the edges, lay face down on the 'sticky', press out air bubbles, then carefuly fold over the edges and stick to the back, ensuring that there are no exposed bits left. Finally, stick to the buiding with a continuous bead of silicone round the back edges.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:08 pm

That sounds promising Philip, I will continue with the printing idea too just to test it out, but look for a supplier of sticky back plastic in the meantime.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:09 am

Peter Butler:121482 wrote: but look for a supplier of sticky back plastic in the meantime.
I'm sure ebay can assist but I got mine from a local stationary shop. WH Smith do it, for sure, and I think I've seen it in our local postoffice cum corner shop, as well.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:45 pm

Still working on the sign and making some progress with the printing method but in the meantime I have been adding detail to a couple of buildings...
Firstly, the small shop which I have decided will be a Ladies and Gents Outfitters.  The window displays and roof capping are now fitted so just the name of the shop to make.....

The other building is the pub which now has all rainwater goods fitted....  The downpipes are fixed to the structure by drilling tiny holes in the plastic sheet and screwing in small diameter screw-eyes (as used in picture hanging).....  

Next, plastic pipe is slid through the eyes and thin tube slightly larger cut into strips and placed either side of the eyes to represent brackets.  These are all stuck together with superglue....

Last edited by Peter Butler on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.