Paint.

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Curmudgeon
New User
New User

Paint.

Post by Curmudgeon » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:37 pm

I have a metal bridge to paint but most model paints seem to only be available in piddly little pots. I have a sprayer/air brush, and am looking for a dark grey colour in satin finish which is suitably weather proof available in reasonably sized pots. Any ideas?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:07 pm

Try hammerite

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:49 pm

I made a bridge out of aluminium strips from B+Q which was rivetted using aluminium rivets.
I primed the bridge using Halfords grey primer in a large spray can. The finish was very robust with an even matt finish. I only painted over it because I wanted a green finish.
This paint might be a bit light coloured for your use but they do other colours of course but I tend to use this primer a lot.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:05 pm

If you have a Poundland nearby, try their grey primer in a rattle can. It is a dark grey and dries with a satin finish. I use it a lot and it works on metal and plastics. And guess what..... it costs just £1.00!

The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:29 pm

A quid for a can of paint! Off to poundland!

Cheers Pete!
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Enginehouse » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:15 pm

James from Devon:120355 wrote:A quid for a can of paint! Off to poundland!

Cheers Pete!
Prodriver grey primer rattle can 300ml from Poundshop, for use with cellulose paints for a quid. Sticks like the proverbial to the blanket and puts on a decent coat with no problems. I have used it for about two years on all sorts of quarry stock without topcoat of any kind. Having no problems with it I used it (being bone idle) to prime a powder coated Danny body. The rattle can spray is extremely good and I have never had any spotting or blockage. I have six cans here in stock as the racks are often empty. Oh yes! The Danny was finished with three light coats of Hycote double acrylic "Fiat Golden Yellow from "The Range" at a little over four quid for 150ml Very concentrated and high colour. Beautiful rock hard finish on "Her" loco which I am now no longer allowed to touch in case I scratch it.
Cheers

Roy H