Vale of Fairway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by robc_wa » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:17 am

bazzer42:119334 wrote:Thanks Jim, hoping to build a tank wagon next using Annie's Hudson catalogue as a guide....I don't count rivets :D
I have one of those planned too, but am also pending a house move.
My tank wagon will use an electronic project "potting" box and a Binnie skip chassis

ImageHudson-small tank by Rob Corner, on Flickr

No rivets there!! Box is from Altronics,an Aussie company, but I am sure Maplins has a similar box

(Sorry about the thread hijack),

Rob

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:22 am

Hi jack away Rob! I will probably build a plasticard tank as I want to add some riveting around the tank. That is a crib from a wagon on the SE lounge. I may also frame the tank which is an idea from 16mm magazine. David Sylvian once sung about being " guilty of stealing every thought I own", he's not alone there :oops:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:45 pm

I must be the complete opposite of Peter Butler with this part build all that has been achieved since the last post but the arrival of Harvey Ezra ( first grandson ) :D is my excuse. The tank wagon has morphed into a fuel bowser build. Still need to trim rods and add nuts to each end. I also need to add a hand pump and fuel lines. Axle boxes are still to be painted and permanently fitted. Chain over the barrels? The barrels are from Maccs Models, an order which included some vents for the tank wagon build that may be next.
Have IP produced those number transfers yet....

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:21 pm

Hi Bazzer, don't let the time-scale be a concern, you are turning out some great builds there.
I was at the Llanfair exhibition yesterday and IP had a selection of transfers on offer. They look OK but no price was shown.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:58 pm

Thanks, Peter. There are times when I wish I could move a little faster though. I think I will work on the garden stuff this winter rather than go back to 4mm. I feel a little diesel will be the main project, probly!
Didn't notice any nice bridges on the Rheidol stand at Llanfair ;)

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:52 pm

That little wagon really looks good, particularly the way the drums are secured. Nice weathering too.
Grant.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:07 am

Thanks Grant, the timber was dictated by what stocks we had and cross rail came from old pictures of bowsers at Leighton Buzzard.
I'm sure the pictures are flattering as they look a little cruder in the flesh. I actually find that with 7/8th size you can get away with rough and ready more easily, or am I just kidding myself?[/b]

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm

I would not let 'a little crude' or 'a bit rough and ready' bother you. That was a pretty accurate description of a lot of the 12" to the foot scale stuff too.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:51 pm

Over a month since the last post but a few things in place to keep busy over the winter. Outside we have laid a base for a timber yard. Main shed over the large area and a small office on the side block. I have bought some lgb bolsters and tippers from modellande so a pair of bolsters on the cards.
I bought an lgb tipper on ebay as an experiment and luckily the tipper and the lgb supports fit nicely into my resin open chassis that I have been experimenting with. I think serendipity is the word. Bought six bodies so a nice train to be had. Just need another loco.....
A £7 investment has provided a nice book on Ruston diesels with some 1/35 drawings. Multiply the measurements by 2.555 and we're in business. This lgb toy train chassis is gonna get Rustonfied over the coming weeks. I'm afraid it won't be a scale model but something that gives the impression. I've plenty of plasticard and some 18mm acrylic tube for a fuel tank. Any tips or suggestions on building slotted buffer beams appreciated.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:31 pm

A little bit of progress on the front end today, waiting for the arrivalof a compass cutter to cut the sides for the fueltank. I'm not a rivet counter but 14 so far :D
I think the bonnet shiuld bebig enough for a battery and a receiver so building the radiator as free standing. Might try this deltang stuff this time. Watch crown for a filler cap?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:41 pm

That looks to be very tidy work, most impressive.
Waiting for more!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:50 pm

Best viewed from a distance Peter, best viewed from a distance. Plasticard is very forgiving though and was surprised how easy the front panel bent over the angle at the base. I've spent more time thinking around how rather than building. The side grills will be fun!
PS the aluminium tube is a prop!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:09 pm

Plasticard is a great material and the more you use it the easier and more versatile it becomes. If you use the correct thickness for each application you should never have difficulty making it do what you expect of it.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:00 pm

Peter Butler:120565 wrote:Plasticard is a great material and the more you use it the easier and more versatile it becomes.   If you use the correct thickness for each application you should never have difficulty making it do what you expect of it.
I have found the .25mm sheet very useful, clad the acrylic tube for the tank and the radiator and it is the same thickness as aluminium repair mesh.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:42 pm

Great looking wagons. Can't wait to see the Ruston take shape.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:41 pm

Bonnet largely complete. If I had my time again would have flared the front in more and made a thinner section for the front grill..Time to cut some cab side to get a feel for overall size and which chassis might work the best.

PS GERik are you still doing the Deltang bits?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:07 pm

I repeat what I said earlier, that is a very neat and tidy construction and I would be satisfied with it if it was my work, well done.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:15 pm

bazzer42:120627 wrote:
PS GERik are you still doing the Deltang bits?
Yep! http://rctrains.co.uk/index.htm

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:59 pm

A weekend away from home so no modelling but a trip to the Exetershow brought rewards. I intended to buy a Modelearth Jack driver to be Lord someone who owns the Vale of Fairway. A second trip along the bring and buy brought a bargain buy. Was never convinced of Pip on the website but quite cute in the flesh and at the price it had to be done. His lordship's daughter, Roberta, now has her own loco. It may well be named after his late son who died at Arnhem. A slight snag in that it only has forward drive and there is no turntable at the branch terminus, yet...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:16 pm

A lovely looking loco and beautifully made.... just don't turn the hob on while it's there!