The Great War - WW1 16mm ng

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
btiratsoo
Cleaner
Cleaner

The Great War - WW1 16mm ng

Post by btiratsoo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:14 pm

Hello all

Recognizing 100 years since the start of World War 1 lead me to start a bit of research into combining two interests of mine - 16mm narrow gauge garden railways/ modelling and World War 1 history.

I was wondering whether anyone on here models this period of trench railways in garden scale (16mm, 7/8ths etc) and if so do you have any photos for inspiration?

The web has some great archive pictures and some fantastic blogs and information on the real thing, but seems very sparce on 16mm scale info/ pictures/ layouts etc etc.

I would be grateful if anyone can share any pictures of 1914 to 1920 era models and layouts etc.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Things are getting better with various locos and wagons available from the ww1 era. I agree it would be nice to amass a file of pics of suitable models.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:08 pm

Andel Models and Swiftsixteen are good cottage industry inspiration. Slaters does the odd wagon. Accucraft made the Baldwin loco as did Roundhouse with their current Alco.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:10 pm

steamie1:104541 wrote:Andel Models and Swiftsixteen are good cottage industry inspiration. Slaters does the odd wagon. Accucraft made the Baldwin loco as did Roundhouse with their current Alco.
................. and it's quite possible that next year's Association Modelling Guide might be on WW1 railways...................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

btiratsoo
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by btiratsoo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:16 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. The modelling guide based around WW1 would be excellent.

I have just discovered Wrightscale and the locos that they produce look splendid.

The Andel and Swift Sixteen stuff looks great too.

Does anyone actually have a trench/ frontline based layout?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:18 pm

Never seen a full layout in 16mm. But a few people have done dioramas or set up pictures on their lines.

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Me and my dad model WW1 items, both prototypical and inspired by:
Some stock next hopefully! Currently building a Swift Sixteen H class. Maybe one day a live steam baldwin or Alco!
Thanks
Jack

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Very definitely post-WW1 on the K&NWLR ....

ImageK&NWLR: Swift Sixteen Tin Turtle painted and lined out by Matt Acton by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:03 pm

Don't actually model the trenches but have a number of Swift Sixteen and Andel model kits of WW1 prototypes to build as post war use on UK narrow gauge railways.
I have built some Wrightscale rolling stock kits. Here is a link to a page on my website. Look at the 5th photo down.

http://crowfootlightrailway.webs.com/trains

The Pechot Crane is clearly painted in a freelance manner and the match trucks are Pechot bogies adapted as match trucks. Wrightscale also do a very impressive bogie flat wagon which has to be seen to be appreciated.

Sometimes it's not easy to get hold of Wrightscale but persist with the phone as they are very helpful once you get them on the phone.
Best place to get hold of them though is the show at Peterborough.
Locos are very impressive but they have a waiting list for all of them.

Good luck.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

btiratsoo
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by btiratsoo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:38 pm

Andy, thanks. Some great pictures on your site. Love the layout too.

Kandnwlr what a lovely model.

90733 great trains there. Thanks.

WDLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: The Great War - WW1 16mm ng

Post by WDLR » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:36 pm

btiratsoo:104539 wrote:Hello all

Recognizing 100 years since the start of World War 1 lead me to start a bit of research into combining two interests of mine - 16mm narrow gauge garden railways/ modelling and World War 1 history.

I was wondering whether anyone on here models this period of trench railways in garden scale (16mm, 7/8ths etc) and if so do you have any photos for inspiration?

The web has some great archive pictures and some fantastic blogs and information on the real thing, but seems very sparce on 16mm scale info/ pictures/ layouts etc etc.

I would be grateful if anyone can share any pictures of 1914 to 1920 era models and layouts etc.

Thanks in advance

Ben
Old thread but thought I'd add that I am new to SM32 and the WDLR of World War 1 is my chosen area of modelling.

Was the Association Modelling Guide on WW1 railways published? I only joined about 90 minutes ago...

David

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:31 pm

There's not been a WW1 guide from the association and there isn't one planned unless someone wants to write it...
I can recommend WDLR Album for inspiration, its a great book filled with photographs.
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

WDLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by WDLR » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:36 pm

laurence703:120056 wrote:There's not been a WW1 guide from the association and there isn't one planned unless someone wants to write it...
I can recommend WDLR Album for inspiration, its a great book filled with photographs.
Ah, OK, the 4th post in this thread suggested otherwise. :)

I have the WDLR Album on order and also have the three volumes of Narrow Gauge at War (the second volume not yet arrived.)

David

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:48 am

This is my WD inspired Mamod train....:

...and a close up of the engine:

WDLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by WDLR » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:26 pm

WDLR:120057 wrote:
laurence703:120056 wrote:There's not been a WW1 guide from the association and there isn't one planned unless someone wants to write it...
Ah, OK, the 4th post in this thread suggested otherwise. :)

I have the WDLR Album on order and also have the three volumes of Narrow Gauge at War (the second volume not yet arrived.)

David
Both these books have now arrived and I am especially looking forward to reading through the WDLR Album later this evening after the cricket and todays F1 are over.

In addition to the locos mentioned in this thread in SM32 I have also found there is a Dick Kerr petrol electric body by Worsley Works (chassis from Essel Engineering.)

David

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:55 am

Over on a Facebook 16mm Military Modelling Closed Group it was recently posted that IP Engineering will be introducing WW1 wagons, which if true is excellent news filling the gap left by the loss of AnDel.

I've decided to try & get a WW1 train (or 2) ready for Tracks to the Trenches 2018.

Chris Cairns.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:52 am

These books have already been mentioned but I just wanted to add my recommendation - they are both excellent and contain a great deal of information and superb photographs.

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:30 pm

That group sounds fab!

I want to put together some French stuff - as well as a set of French Serivce des Chemins de Fer Militaire kit for Apedale.