Fixing things to the smoke box.

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Post Reply
User avatar
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: Teesside

Fixing things to the smoke box.

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:55 am

Hi guys

Long time no see!

One I would like to do is add a lamp iron to the smokebox of my Lady Anne (as well as other bits around her). As I'm a bit apprehensive with drilling holes in her I was considering using silicone or epoxy. Would this be okay and if so what type would you suggest?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:11 pm

Silicone will be easier to remove if you change your mind but may not be as strong as epoxy.
IMHO try the silicone first and see how you get on.

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Hmmm, I think this is one thing that does need a hole drilling, you could try silicon, but a smokebox is too hot for superglue or epoxy normally without some sort of mechanical fixing to hold it additionally.

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:49 pm

I would drill and tap the holes and screw it on tightly!

User avatar
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: Teesside

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:11 am

Cool, cheers guys.

I'll give the silicone a try first but if that proves fruitless I'll ask a friend with a pillar drill to take a look at it.

Cheers chaps.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests