Page 1 of 1

Weathering Techniques

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:19 pm
by SpudUk
Hey all,

Anyone got any top tips, secrets or suggestions when it comes to weathering rolling stock?

Thanks

Chris

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:37 pm
by MDLR
Take your time and remember you can usually wipe it off and start again. There again, wiping your weathering medium off and just leaving it in the grooves is often very effective!

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:53 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Quite a lot of my stock picks up its own weathering after its been in use a few years. When ever I am painting a building I save the wash water (which is usually a merky brown/black) and use it to apply a layer of wash onto pieces of rolling stock in need of weathering. It is then wiped off so it gets into the corners and grooves. Over several applications of different colours it starts to work well. I also have a jar of rusty liquid (made by putting iron wool in a jar of salty water and leaving for a while) which is painted onto the "metal" bits. When the water evaporates it leaves a grainey rusty stain which works quite well.
Weathering needn't require a lot of difficult techniques and expensive paints!

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:54 pm
by laalratty
I think this is a good place to start (and part 2), but it is possibly the one thing in model railways that has the greatest number of possible techniques and ideas, plus of course in real life you will find stuff that is in every possible state from pristine to a rusting wreck.
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/dhNhhYR2x-M?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/dhNhhYR2x-M?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:08 pm
by KjellAn
Hello

I did learned a lot when asking this forum about weathering a RH Little John.
See this topic - How to weathering a new Roundhouse loco.

A visit to my hobbyshop - I was recommended some weathering-stuff from AK Interactive - Heavy Chipping Fluid and Rust streaks :


Image

Image

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:09 pm
by jim@NAL
buy some powders and have a go don't be too worried if u mess it up u can always wipe it off I bought some and had a lot off fun trying out different techniques

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:04 pm
by astropsidings
Try The Weathering Magazine for ideas and techniques: http://www.theweatheringmagazine.com

Ian