Cheap diy rail

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Post Reply
Vapouriser

Cheap diy rail

Post by Vapouriser » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Evening and happy new year. I have heard of people occasionaly using steel strip for rail and am thinking of doing so. The only strip I can buy is 15 mil wide though. I can have it sliced into 4 mil widths but it will bend slightly in the process. Has anyone tried this. Can it be straightened well enough. It s £7 per 20 metres!

TommyDodd

Post by TommyDodd » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:56 pm

I've seen it done using 12mm strip, a good few years ago. Continuous strips on edge were used for rails, which were stuck using electric glue to smaller pieces of the same material acting as sleepers. Up close it looked a bit clunky and harsh but time and distance calmed down its appearance nicely. The welds looked vaguely like chairs, the sleepers rusted to a red-brown "track colour" while the railheads were kept nice and shiny through regular use of an oil-dribbling wagon. Running was superb (though that was down to the quality of the workmanship rather than materials).

spooner

Post by spooner » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:10 pm

I use 10mm by 3mm steel strip MIG welded to steel sleepers.
You wont cold rolled steel[with rounded corners].

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:22 pm

I seem to recall somebody back in the day using multiple layers of steel strapping, set in wooden sleepers which had had grooves cut in them to fix the gauge................

Vapouriser

Post by Vapouriser » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Thank you Gentlemen. I beieve I shall try it. I ll send photos when I ve got a new phone Cant upload with present one. Also my 28 year old Lady Ann had its first outing for 10 years in December.went well. Ta!

Sandbar

Post by Sandbar » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Try looking at Greg Hunters website:
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/satr/track.htm
Lots of tips & tricks & may be some help to you
Regards from Andrew
Sandbar & Mudcrab Railroad

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests