Mss as a first

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Mss as a first

Post by laurence703 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Hello!
I'm new to the miniature world of garden railways as such and I've always wanted a Mamod or a Mss loco. After the Parents made the mistake of saying "Yes Laurence, You can put a railway in the garden"
On a few conditions this was allowed and the conditions were that I pay for Brick flower beds and that it has to be proper steam... I love my Parents! I'm yet to build the railway, but I bought a Mss loco and tender with a good amount of Mamod track from Ebay. The loco had only been steamed once before I bought it and after a few sessions of trying to get it going it now runs a dream and is actually controllable, which was very surprising considering the horror stories that surround mamods and only being able to stay on the track for no more than 2 seconds... which I quite pleasantly discovered is a load of old wives tales so to speak.

Here's a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM_0jkplKTk

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Well done Laurence. Your parents have wisely decided that a properly laid out garden railway is an asset and an improvement on your average flower bed.

Go ahead and repay their confidence. I like their proviso that it has to be 'proper steam'.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:06 pm

I totally agree that mamods are controllable but of course if you bang the regulator right over and send it round a tight bend anything will fall over. I like your parents! I had to buy a house first before I got my garden railway!

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:15 pm

Mamods are controllable. You either need to mod the reverser block or I recommend buying a PPS refined reverser. Regardless, she's a fine looking engine and will provide hours of fun. :)

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:40 pm

dougrail:61845 wrote:Regardless, she's a fine looking engine and will provide hours of fun. :)
Until the wheels slip on the axels :lol:

In all serious though you can get the odd MSS that are bloody good, my one, Britomart used to be good, and it ran very happily along my line with just a meths burner and uprated SV. It used to easily haul 4 mamod vans up my gradient (which was roughly 1 in 30 or 40, can't remember now!) and in it's hey day it hauled that and another dead mamod at the back!

Until it broke :lol:

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:46 pm

I haven't upgraded it yet and in its current state the only things I'd want to do to it were a water filler valve, move the existing safety valve to where the whistle is and put a meths burner in there as well.
The tablets can be a pain to light when its a little bit breezy! It's a good little runner :D It'd be nice to take it to a garden railway or a club track somewhere for a good run instead of just running it on my patio...
Anyone know of anywhere near Milton Keynes that would let me take it for a play?
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Get in touch with the Bedfordshire area group of 16mm.
Ian
WLR