I can get 1/8" copper tubing in following SWG - 27, 26, 24, 22, 20 (or for metric guys from 0.4mm to 0.8mm wall thickness).
Which size of copper tube do you guys use for steam pipe fitting to cylinder


The annealed 1/8” copper tubing I use is listed by the supplier as 24g. I'm not sure it's available in other sizes here in Oz, the ME suppliers only list that size. Annealed copper tubing comes in a coil, but there's no point in buying straight copper tube, you have to anneal it and bend it anyway and it costs a lot more per foot.bambuko wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:54 pm Which size do you guys use for steam pipe fitting to cylinder.


https://www.ksmetals.com/

bambuko wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:54 pm On Brian Wilson's Eric (and few other designs I looked at) steam pipe is quoted as 1/8" dia, but nobody ever mentions the wall thickness...![]()
I can get 1/8" copper pipe in following SWG - 27, 26, 24, 22, 20 (or for metric guys from 0.4mm to 0.8mm wall thickness).
Which size do you guys use for steam pipe fitting to cylinder![]()



thank you
that's professional way of doing thingsHydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:23 pm...This is why I take the time and effort to do full 3D and 2D drawings and go back and edit them and have them updated...
Yes, that was confusing choice of word on my behalf - sorry.Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:23 pm...Note, be careful using "Pipe" dimensions as this refers to the bore/internal diameter, which in this case is what you are seeking.
"Tubing" refers to the outside diameter and the internal diameter could be anything, so one needs to know the wall thickness.

That would imply 0.4mm (27 SWG) wall thickness for the 1/8" tube ...

Don't overthink things.......bambuko wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:17 am That would imply 0.4mm (27 SWG) wall thickness for the 1/8" tube ...
Rather thin? but clearly it works OK for you![]()
Maybe it is also the function of the steam pressure?
Steam pressure in 16mm locos tends to be lower than what it is for example in G1 locos?

Yes, you are right, should have calculated things, before making flippant comments.

I run my locos at 40 PSI when I can.bambuko wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:17 am That would imply 0.4mm (27 SWG) wall thickness for the 1/8" tube ...
Rather thin? but clearly it works OK for you![]()
Maybe it is also the function of the steam pressure?
Steam pressure in 16mm locos tends to be lower than what it is for example in G1 locos?
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests