Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
-
SpudUk
- Fireman

- Posts: 329
- Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm
- Location: Bridgend
Post
by SpudUk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:57 pm
Hey all,
I'm really struggling with coaches. I have never scratch built anything in my life, bar a 7mm flat wagon many moons ago, but can't seem to find a kit that suits what I'm looking for.
My fictional line uses stock constructed almost exclusively from ex-WDLR kit, so I've been trying to find kits that best match this description. The Leighton Buzzard seems like the best prototype, so I've been using images like this:
Any suggestions?
Chris Auckland
-
SpudUk
- Fireman

- Posts: 329
- Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm
- Location: Bridgend
Post
by SpudUk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:10 pm
Yea saw those earlier, too short really
Chris Auckland
-
spooner
Post
by spooner » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:28 pm
I've put a HGLW couch on ANDEL WW1 bogies.It make a decent toast rack coach conversion of WW1 wagon.
-
SpudUk
- Fireman

- Posts: 329
- Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm
- Location: Bridgend
Post
by SpudUk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:39 pm
I'm looking at toast racks in the short term, seem like a logical idea and have one on its way at the moment
Chris
Chris Auckland
-
SpudUk
- Fireman

- Posts: 329
- Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm
- Location: Bridgend
Post
by SpudUk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:42 pm
I must admit I am tempted by the IP VOR Matchboard coaches. Not complete accurate for the vision in terms of their "fudgability" onto WDLR frames, but they're the right era and I think they look the part that the owners of the line would have gone for...hmmmm
Chris Auckland
-
Andrew
- Moderator

- Posts: 3422
- Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm
- Location: Bristol, UK
-
Contact:
Post
by Andrew » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:04 pm
If you're thinking of going down that route you might consider the Brandbright panelled carriages?
http://www.brandbright.co.uk/index.php?cPath=12_16
Either as 4-wheelers, as short bogie carriages or - if you join two together - as 6 compartment or brake composite bogie carriages. T'would be a little different.
Andel's carriage range seems to have shrunk dramatically which is a shame because they're bogie workman carriages could've worked for you.
Cheers,
Andrew.
-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:49 pm
IMP models did do some Leighton Buzzard bogie coach kits, but that range disappeared a long time ago. And I don't think anyone has done anything like since. Last years 16mm Association modellers guide featured some LBLR bogie coach drawings, along with some suggestions for scratchbuilding them
-
GTB
- Driver

- Posts: 1721
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:46 pm
- Location: Australia
Post
by GTB » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:39 am
SpudUk:97305 wrote:
My fictional line uses stock constructed almost exclusively from ex-WDLR kit, so I've been trying to find kits that best match this description. The Leighton Buzzard seems like the best prototype,
I'd think shortening an IPE kit for Talyllyn bogie coach no. 18 would give you something resembling the closed Leighton Buzzard coaches in the photo. as the panelling design is similar. Your WDLR connection could be to use WDLR bogies rather than whatever IPE put in the kit.
With a bit of cut and shut, two kits would give you two four or five compartment coaches and enough leftover bits for reworking into the brake van sides.
The only WDLR based coaches I can think of were the Ashover Railway ones. Brandbright used to do those as a kit, but they are no longer in the catalog.
Graeme
-
dhippey
Post
by dhippey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:19 pm
Hi, HGLW here,
Here is a sneak preview of a new 2 compartment coach that will soon be added to our range.
It will be available as either 2, 3 or 4 compartment versions.
(The picture is one of our trial builds just slotted together rather than glued).
As a footnote, bowing to popular demand, our Summer Coach will be available in 2, 3 or 4 compartment versions, alongside a guards/brake version too.
....You heard it here first folks! :-)
-
Lner fan Sam
Post
by Lner fan Sam » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:02 pm
Hope you have those coaches at Peterborough David, I'll be snapping some up!
-
MDLR
Post
by MDLR » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:36 pm
SpudUk:97305 wrote:The only WDLR based coaches I can think of were the Ashover Railway ones. Brandbright used to do those as a kit, but they are no longer in the catalogue.
The only problem with the Ashover coaches is that they're HUGE!
As you can see from this (rather old) picture of coach 4 being restored at Butterley, it towers over the bogie and the normal passenger stock.
-
GTB
- Driver

- Posts: 1721
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:46 pm
- Location: Australia
Post
by GTB » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:41 am
MDLR:97376 wrote:
The only problem with the Ashover coaches is that they're HUGE!
Depends on what you compare them to....
The Ashover loading gauge was about the same as the L&B and the VoR and also typical of colonial 2' gauge railways. Not all railways had to work through tight clearances in factories and mines, or squeeze through ratholes in Welsh scenery.
The Ashover coaches do appear to sit high due to the use of WDLR bogies, but the overall height of a WDLR D type open wagon is compatible and they weren't much bigger than the ex-WDLR ambulance vans used on the Nocton line.
The OP did say he wanted a railway based on ex-WDLR stock.
Graeme
-
SpudUk
- Fireman

- Posts: 329
- Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm
- Location: Bridgend
Post
by SpudUk » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:28 pm
Some useful suggestions there folks, thanks for the help.
I'll be keeping an eye on your closed coaches David!
Chris Auckland
-
90733
- Driver

- Posts: 1955
- Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
- Location: West Yorkshire
-
Contact:
Post
by 90733 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:30 pm
HGLW open coaches are great kits! I bought one farily early on and it was a lovely build, ones of the few coach kits I've got round to finishing....
Thanks
Jack
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests