Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
-
Steven.T
- Fireman

- Posts: 410
- Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 pm
- Location: Stockton
Post
by Steven.T » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:29 pm
Hi guys,
Whilst steaming up today and waiting for the water to boil, I was thinking (dangerous, I know!!).
Would it be possible to use water that has just boiled, put straight into a good flask, then used later for steaming, surely it would mean that you use less gas heating the water in the boiler, due to it being a higher temperature than 'cold', therefore raising pressure quicker and getting a slightly better running time?
Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Cheers,
Steven
-
Sir Clothem Cap
- Driver

- Posts: 1708
- Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
- Location: Hampshire
-
Contact:
Post
by Sir Clothem Cap » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:40 pm
I have often used pre boiled water to speed things up. I would suggest a gentle warming of the engine first to avoid thermal shock on any glass fittings ect but if you were to use cold water on first steam to allow things to warm properly then topping up with hot water after wouldn't be a problem.
-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:44 pm
Shouldn't be out of the kettle hot, but up to about 60 degrees C or so should be ok I'd have thought.
-
benchmark
Post
by benchmark » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:45 pm
I have always used pre heated water and i have an electric kettle permanently in my workshop for that purpose. As an avid steam boater , even when i go out to the pond, i pour hot water into a flask and carry it along, It not only saves time but also gas. The small 10 mins i have to wait to get steam each time is significantly shortened and if you add the minutes you saves each time you make a refill and have to wait for steam , you will get more time actually steaming and less time waiting.
-
KjellAn
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 228
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:46 pm
- Location: Norway, Sarpsborg
-
Contact:
Post
by KjellAn » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:27 am
I always use pre heated water in my RH Billy to shorten the time steaming up the engine.
I good advice is to remove 20 ml water (instead of 30 ml) from the boiler when using pre heated water. This to ensure that the boiler do not runs out of water before gas runs out.
Kjell Anderdal
Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)
-
DolwyddelanLightRail
Post
by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 am
laalratty:66755 wrote:Shouldn't be out of the kettle hot, but up to about 60 degrees C or so should be ok I'd have thought.
Woops!

-
Steven.T
- Fireman

- Posts: 410
- Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 pm
- Location: Stockton
Post
by Steven.T » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:39 pm
KjellAn:66954 wrote:I always use pre heated water in my RH Billy to shorten the time steaming up the engine.
I good advice is to remove 20 ml water (instead of 30 ml) from the boiler when using pre heated water. This to ensure that the boiler do not runs out of water before gas runs out.
The Roundhouse locos are designed to run out of gas first with 30mls of water removed anyway, so this wouldn't be an issue.
What difference would using water straight out of the kettle make?
-
TommyDodd
Post
by TommyDodd » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:01 pm
Gas tank capacity is designed to be enough to raise steam from cold, have a run and then conk out before the water runs out. Obviously, if you're raising steam from almost-boiling you'll use less gas and have more in the tank for a longer run, which raises the moderately ugly possibility of running out of water first and boiling dry- hence the suggestion to leave a bit more in at the start of the run. However I wonder if following the tip might lead to priming problems with so much less steam space above the boiling water.
-
Sir Clothem Cap
- Driver

- Posts: 1708
- Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
- Location: Hampshire
-
Contact:
Post
by Sir Clothem Cap » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:22 pm
ste234:66977 wrote:KjellAn:66954 wrote:I always use pre heated water in my RH Billy to shorten the time steaming up the engine.
I good advice is to remove 20 ml water (instead of 30 ml) from the boiler when using pre heated water. This to ensure that the boiler do not runs out of water before gas runs out.
The Roundhouse locos are designed to run out of gas first with 30mls of water removed anyway, so this wouldn't be an issue.
What difference would using water straight out of the kettle make?
Its just the shock to the metal and glass at going from room temprature to almost 100 degrees in an instant. Much better to let it warm up gently or things don't get to expand at a reasonable rate but once warm them very hot topups isn't a problem.
-
Pendo Pilot
Post
by Pendo Pilot » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:36 pm
I just gas & water it up, light it. Allow to raise some psi. Shut off gas, top up & off again. I remove approx 15ml from the boiler (RH LA & Fowler) after filling it up beforehand. Never run dry once. Do the same on the Edrig but remove 20ml. Also do the same on Carrie & countess but as they have sight glasses & water top up it doesnt matter about measuring the water first.
-
KjellAn
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 228
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:46 pm
- Location: Norway, Sarpsborg
-
Contact:
Post
by KjellAn » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:04 pm
Just thinking ...
From filling up the boiler with hot water - it normaly takes 1 minute to move the engine to the track and then ignite the gas-burner. During this time I think some of the energy in the hot water will transfer to the boiler and pipes. My Billy has (as far as I know) no sight glasses.
After the run I check the boiler if any water is left - particularly when the engine is put away for some time. And when I remove 20 ml water, it is very little water left in the boiler - about 10-15 ml. I have not experienced any problem with enough space for the steam on top of the boiler when just removing 20 ml water.
Kjell Anderdal
Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests