Buffer height

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Post Reply
User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Buffer height

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:38 am

I am basing the coupler height on all my scratch build stuff on the chopper coupler height of an Accucraft L&B wagon as a standard.

Is this a good practice to follow?  I am not overly fussed about being true to scale.  I run on 32mm track.

Cheers,

Tom

User avatar
sstjc
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:47 am
Location: Faversham Kent
Contact:

Post by sstjc » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:48 am

I was advised 25mm sometime ago... and occasionally I get this right.

Barry
www.5inchrail.com

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks Barry.

How are you measuring the height of your couplers? I put a ruler against the base of one of the wheels of the L&B wagon to one of the mounting holes on chopper coupler and it's just over 25mm.

Cheers,

Tom

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:40 pm

I prefer this height though which is what I have been doing:

Image

I am measuring from the base of the chopper coupling bracket to the base of the wheel.

What do others do please?

Cheers,

Tom

User avatar
sstjc
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:47 am
Location: Faversham Kent
Contact:

Post by sstjc » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:36 pm

I measure from the top of the rail to the mid-point of the coupling.... don't know if thats the correct thing to do though...???

Barry
www.5inchrail.com

spooner

Post by spooner » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:10 pm

The measurement from coupling centre to rail top is how its measured.I think most loco builders in 16mm use 25mm as a standard.I think the L&B standard is the same.

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Having a look around on the net it seems 25mm is the standard and an old 16mm veteran I know also uses this rule.

I will adjust my loco couplers and then match my rolling stock couplers with them which should be a 'fun' job destroy most of my work! :?

Thanks for the help chaps.

Tom

Vapouriser

Buffer height

Post by Vapouriser » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:02 pm

All my rolling stock buffers are at the same height as my elderly Lady Ann except the little Binnie skips and similar tiny wagons. One day I m going to want to put these behind Lady Ann. I wonder if there was something actualy usedas a multi height buffer?

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:16 pm

Compare a Roundhouse Lady Anne's buffer height (circa 2007) to a Roundhouse Cricieth Castle buffer height. Mine are way off, Lady Anne's one almost slides under the diesels one.

spooner

Post by spooner » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:29 pm

You could use a bent bar with elongated holes in the ends for coupling stock of different heights together.

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:45 pm

The easiest way to get a constant buffer height is to make a jig which will couple with a piece of rolling stock with the "standard" buffer height you wish to adopt - either with the stock on the track or on the bench top (don't forget to allow for the flanges if you're on the bench).

IrishPeter

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:28 am

Quarry gauge seems to have standardized on 25mm.  As somewhere around 18" is the commonest buffer height on 2' to 30" gauge railways.

The 45mm crew have a great diversity of buffer heights as we always have the temptation of going for 'scale height' on our particular railway.  For those of us of a Manx or Irish persuasion 34mm is pretty common and 15mm scale for the IMR, West Clare, T&DLR, as well as being close enough for Cavan and Leitrim and Clogher Valley.  If I were a betting man I would say that 34mm will eventually become the commonest height for 15/45 simply because 2'2" and 2'3" centres was the commonest height for 3' gauge equipment in Ireland, and is also the IMR's standard height.

As I am more of the 76cm/2'6" breed these days my locos and stock are currently set at 25mm, which means that without the hook they will be low enough for a standard gauge axle to pass over the coupler when loading the transporter wagons. When I get a really big shipment of roundtuits I shall check that my buffer heights are all the same.

Peter in AZ
Last edited by IrishPeter on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:23 pm

The right height for any item of stock is whatever it was when you brought it unless it won't couple with the rest of your stock. Most mis matches can be sorted with a slightly longer chain or rod. :D

User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:27 pm

I wonder why the buffers are so low on Roundhouse steam engines. The buffers on all my IP wagons are higher than the ones on the locomotive. They work, but are not centered.

spooner

Post by spooner » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:28 pm

I.P. couplings seem to be to high but easily sorted.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests