Narrow Planet??

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Post Reply
User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Narrow Planet??

Post by dougrail » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Has anyone else had trouble ordering nameplates from these chaps? I emailed them my order as they said they do 16mm scale plates, and take orders by mail. It's been a week or so with no reply. I can't say I'm impressed - unless there's any mitigating circumstances?

Alternatively, anyone here able to match their prices?

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:38 pm

I'd personally use MDC Plates, OK, they may be a lot more expensive, and take up to a month to arrive, but they are very good quality. Both Britomart and Pheonix's nameplates are from them

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Steve (Narrow Planet) may be away. He normally replys within 2 days if not within the hour.

You will not beat price/quality of Narrow Planet.

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Well, I emailed early last week and haven't had a reply, hence my concern. I hear they're good - but do they exist, so to speak.

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Mine are superb, yes they were not uber quick but was well worth it. I did order mine through Matt though so don't know about comms. On the same subject though I am still awaiting an email back from Essel regarding a chassis for my Jack.....Not that it matters now of course. ;)

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi PP

Would you be able to direct me to this Matt chap who has an open line to them then?

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:32 pm

It's Sir haydn Doug..

User avatar
williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:20 pm
Location: York

Post by williamfj » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:02 pm

I've got plates from both, I've found that times both response & delivery were very similar for both. Really the only difference for me is size, Offler looks right with larger plates (narrow planet) while Ivy looks right with smaller (MDC) plates.

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:04 pm

Oh. OH. This I did not know. :oops:

Still. Possible I could lay an order through your works then SH, see if that gets it to them?

cheers.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:37 pm

williamfj:64604 wrote:I've got plates from both, I've found that times both response & delivery were very similar for both. Really the only difference for me is size, Offler looks right with larger plates (narrow planet) while Ivy looks right with smaller (MDC) plates.
I dunno about MDC, but Narrow Planet will produce the plates to whatever size you order.
For example, the "Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway" cab number plates and "Beyer Peacock" smokebox works plates on my Earl & Countess are from Narrow Planet ;)

Image

User avatar
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:18 pm

I have narrow planet nameplates, they took a bit of time to produce but are well wrth the money.

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Post by TonyW » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:49 pm

Narrow Minded:64607 wrote:I dunno about MDC, but Narrow Planet will produce the plates to whatever size you order.
As will MDC. Only the standard and most popular 16mm scale plates are shown on my web site, but it also says: Customised plates incorporating different fonts, background colours and plate shapes can also be produced.

16mm scale plates are only part of what MDC produce, and their range includes Gauge O, Gauge 1 and everything up to 7 1/4inch, curved nameplates (to fit over a splasher), headboards and anything else that can be etched.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 pm

I'd just like someone who can produce a pair of rectangular GWR style plates with a 12-character name on for say £10-11 as NP quote. :oops:

DVT Dweller

Post by DVT Dweller » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:46 pm

Pendo Pilot:64596 wrote:Mine are superb, yes they were not uber quick but was well worth it. I did order mine through Matt though so don't know about comms. On the same subject though I am still awaiting an email back from Essel regarding a chassis for my Jack.....Not that it matters now of course.  ;)
I will second that all of my plates have been through Matt and no problems, might take a while but for the pice you cant argue. As for Essel I emailed them ages ago about some Bo-Bo power bogies for a diesel...... still waiting.

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Post by TonyW » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Keith&Joanna:64632 wrote:I for one didnt know that Tony, do you have any pictures of the larger finished pieces of work?
I don't, but I'll try and get some.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:34 pm

I've been in contact with Narrow Planet recently to ask about producing large plates for a 5in engine on a thicker material than standard, he has been quick and most helpfull so far, I sent an e-mail in the new year which hasn't recieved a reply either, I sent one the other day to ask if he had recieved my e-mail, which I haven't had a reply to either, so I can only assume he is taking a well earned break.

I would usually use MDC, the plates I had when the company was in the hands of the previous owner were great, nice and chunky, and the ones I have seen since are just as good. However on this occasion NP have the artwork for one of the quite complex plates I want on record.

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Must be a winter break thing then. Cheers SB. I can wait a little while I guess.

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:38 pm

One problem with Narrow Planet is that you have to wait for a batch to be filled before plates are produced, so it's a bit of pot luck - get in towards the end of a batch and you get the plates quickly, hit the beginning of a new batch and it could be a while.

I had issues with the last set of plates I had - I thought he'd forgotten to sort it, but then a new (bigger) set of plates turned up more-or-less out of the blue!

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:41 pm

MDLR - I'm aware of that and again can wait I guess. :) What got my concern was the lack of acknowledgement to my email/order.

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:50 pm

And case closed - Steven has very kindly responded to my email. All is well now. [Feel free to delete the thread gents].

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests