Newbie track bed advice.

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Post Reply
RoyP

Newbie track bed advice.

Post by RoyP » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:45 am

Now retired and about to downsize to a new house with the view that I may now be able to have my own, small, 16mm garden line.

Advice as to what materials and how to construct a track base would be appreciated, bearing in mind that I have a dodgy back and am not able to shift lots of earth or cement.

The site in question is level, and the motive power would be battery as I don't think finances would go to steam!

Thanks,
Roy.

pauly
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1989
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:18 pm

Post by pauly » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:32 pm

get a young person to dig a trench and fill it with sharp gravel then lay the track on top and ballast it in.

works fine for me

Image

or just put some posts into th eground and build ontop of them.
Image
A steam propelled life-style.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Some people sink 'Thermolite blocks' into the ground and cement them inplace, then screw the track to them. I think they're a much lighter version of breeze blocks.
Image

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:16 pm

I was considering building foundations of a two brick high wall sunk into the ground. then track screwed in. There will also be some wood planks which I used for the shelves...
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR wrote:I was considering building foundations of a two brick high wall sunk into the ground. then track screwed in. There will also be some wood planks which I used for the shelves...
Pretty much what i'm doing as well! :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests