Lighting up an Accucraft Locomotive - Liquid Gas Woes
Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:27 pm
Last year I bought an Accucraft Ragleth so that I could run on 32mm & 45mm layouts, and for use at exhibitions, etc. Whilst it is a great runner and easily maintained I do find the gas tank design with liquid gas flowing to the burner initially a hindrance.
There are 2 recommended firing techniques to overcome this liquid gas problem, and as there is little documented proof that the second technique works, I decided to carry out a trial with my Accucraft fleet.
Technique 1 – After filling the gas tank full, prior to initial light up open the gas regulator for 5 secs to get purge the liquid gas first. I’ve never had much success with this technique, and equally if you watch Chris Bird’s excellent introductory Ragleth video even he had problems - https://youtu.be/l3WNJ-9XL94
He opens the gas regulator for 5 secs until the gas jet blocks. After clearing the jet he opens the gas regulator for 2 secs to confirm all is OK. He then opens the gas regulator for a further 11 secs to purge the liquid gas. This is all done indoors in a quiet environment. The gas regulator is opened again for light up which occurs 2 secs later. So that is a total of 20 secs prior to light up. And what happens – the burner goes out shortly afterwards! When he relights it, it then pulses initially. So video proof that the 5 secs purge does not always work.
Technique 2 – Partially fill the gas tank, light up and raise working pressure. Turn off gas burner and refill gas tank to full (it should be warm now so will hold less quantity). Light up and continue with locomotive running.
Thus technique has been raised a couple of times on these Forums and I asked if anyone had measured how much water they had remaining after using this technique. As there was no reply to that enquiry I decided to run my own trial.
Caradoc – This was purchased 2nd hand from fellow 16mm NGM Group member earlier this year, but I’m not sure which gas jet it has fitted. For its first Garden Railway run I decided to try out this technique although did not record any timings, etc. It took 2 goes to get it to light initially, and the same happened after refilling the gas tank. At the end of its run I was left with only 15 mls of water which I think is too low for these boilers. However it is fitted with a water filler valve which got me thinking about how to adapt Technique 2 slightly.
Edrig – This came 2nd hand off eBay. I’ve fitted a No.5 gas jet from Chuffed2Bits, it had a proper Ronson filler valve retrofitted to the gas tank, and has a Summerlands Chuffer fitted. I struggled to get it lit initially after a partial gas tank fill, but when finally lit it took 07:30 mins to raise 40 PSI and clear the cylinders. Gas tank refilled to full, and after waiting 2 mins I tried lighting up again. This was still a problem and I did get a large flame out of the smokebox door. After finally lit up it took 04:00 mins to raise 40 PSI and clear the cylinders again. I ran it with a train for 11:30 mins then using a Jacksons Miniature Superior water filler bottle gave it 35 pumps of water which dropped the pressure by 20 PSI, and it then ran with the train again for a further 12:30 mins. This loco has 2 channel R/C so I was running it on full reverser and adjusting the regulator as necessary. Water remaining after this run was a very comfortable 85 mls.
Ragleth – This was brand new last year and has a factory fitted No.5 gas jet. Up till now I’ve been using a standard gas lighter with a open flame and I’ve been applying that flame at the front entrance of the boiler flue. I’d just bought a flexi hose gas lighter from Aldi which is supposed to be windproof, but when I applied the flame in the same manner it was blown out by the gas. By withdrawing this lighter so the flame is in the smokebox rather than the flue the burner light up OK. It took 09:00 mins to raise 40 PSI and clear the cylinders. Gas tank refilled to full, and after waiting 2 mins the burner was lit up again OK. Took 04:00 mins to raise 40 PSI and clear the cylinders again. I ran it with a train for 11:15 mins, and again using a Jacksons Miniature Superior water filler bottle gave it 35 pumps of water which dropped the pressure by 25 PSI. It took a little longer to restore the pressure compared to the Edrig, but it ran with the train again for a further 17:00 mins. This loco has single channel R/C fitted so I was using a fixed position regulator and varying the reverser as necessary. Water remaining after this run was a very comfortable 65 mls.
So Technique 2 worked well with the Ragleth, but not with the Edrig. I have now learnt that I’ve been applying the gas lighter flame in the wrong place, but the problem with the open flame lighter is it is difficult to keep it lit when there is any wind around. So I think the Edrig’s problem was not applying the lighter in the right place, plus the Ronson filler valve seems to fill the gas tank better/fuller. I watched the new owner of a John Sutton Jedrig (his first Accucraft) using the Roundhouse light up procedure (his loco fleet is mainly Roundhouse). The first time it lit there was a nice tall flame out of the chimney which did not pop back, and on the 2nd attempt the liquid gas ignition ended up with flames coming out of several places. I advised him that Accucraft recommend lighting up with the smokebox door open first, and leaving it open for up to 2 minutes.
Hopefully taking part in an Open Day next weekend so look forward to more experience with Technique 2 on my Ragleth.
Chris Cairns
There are 2 recommended firing techniques to overcome this liquid gas problem, and as there is little documented proof that the second technique works, I decided to carry out a trial with my Accucraft fleet.
Technique 1 – After filling the gas tank full, prior to initial light up open the gas regulator for 5 secs to get purge the liquid gas first. I’ve never had much success with this technique, and equally if you watch Chris Bird’s excellent introductory Ragleth video even he had problems - https://youtu.be/l3WNJ-9XL94
He opens the gas regulator for 5 secs until the gas jet blocks. After clearing the jet he opens the gas regulator for 2 secs to confirm all is OK. He then opens the gas regulator for a further 11 secs to purge the liquid gas. This is all done indoors in a quiet environment. The gas regulator is opened again for light up which occurs 2 secs later. So that is a total of 20 secs prior to light up. And what happens – the burner goes out shortly afterwards! When he relights it, it then pulses initially. So video proof that the 5 secs purge does not always work.
Technique 2 – Partially fill the gas tank, light up and raise working pressure. Turn off gas burner and refill gas tank to full (it should be warm now so will hold less quantity). Light up and continue with locomotive running.
Thus technique has been raised a couple of times on these Forums and I asked if anyone had measured how much water they had remaining after using this technique. As there was no reply to that enquiry I decided to run my own trial.
Caradoc – This was purchased 2nd hand from fellow 16mm NGM Group member earlier this year, but I’m not sure which gas jet it has fitted. For its first Garden Railway run I decided to try out this technique although did not record any timings, etc. It took 2 goes to get it to light initially, and the same happened after refilling the gas tank. At the end of its run I was left with only 15 mls of water which I think is too low for these boilers. However it is fitted with a water filler valve which got me thinking about how to adapt Technique 2 slightly.
Edrig – This came 2nd hand off eBay. I’ve fitted a No.5 gas jet from Chuffed2Bits, it had a proper Ronson filler valve retrofitted to the gas tank, and has a Summerlands Chuffer fitted. I struggled to get it lit initially after a partial gas tank fill, but when finally lit it took 07:30 mins to raise 40 PSI and clear the cylinders. Gas tank refilled to full, and after waiting 2 mins I tried lighting up again. This was still a problem and I did get a large flame out of the smokebox door. After finally lit up it took 04:00 mins to raise 40 PSI and clear the cylinders again. I ran it with a train for 11:30 mins then using a Jacksons Miniature Superior water filler bottle gave it 35 pumps of water which dropped the pressure by 20 PSI, and it then ran with the train again for a further 12:30 mins. This loco has 2 channel R/C so I was running it on full reverser and adjusting the regulator as necessary. Water remaining after this run was a very comfortable 85 mls.
Ragleth – This was brand new last year and has a factory fitted No.5 gas jet. Up till now I’ve been using a standard gas lighter with a open flame and I’ve been applying that flame at the front entrance of the boiler flue. I’d just bought a flexi hose gas lighter from Aldi which is supposed to be windproof, but when I applied the flame in the same manner it was blown out by the gas. By withdrawing this lighter so the flame is in the smokebox rather than the flue the burner light up OK. It took 09:00 mins to raise 40 PSI and clear the cylinders. Gas tank refilled to full, and after waiting 2 mins the burner was lit up again OK. Took 04:00 mins to raise 40 PSI and clear the cylinders again. I ran it with a train for 11:15 mins, and again using a Jacksons Miniature Superior water filler bottle gave it 35 pumps of water which dropped the pressure by 25 PSI. It took a little longer to restore the pressure compared to the Edrig, but it ran with the train again for a further 17:00 mins. This loco has single channel R/C fitted so I was using a fixed position regulator and varying the reverser as necessary. Water remaining after this run was a very comfortable 65 mls.
So Technique 2 worked well with the Ragleth, but not with the Edrig. I have now learnt that I’ve been applying the gas lighter flame in the wrong place, but the problem with the open flame lighter is it is difficult to keep it lit when there is any wind around. So I think the Edrig’s problem was not applying the lighter in the right place, plus the Ronson filler valve seems to fill the gas tank better/fuller. I watched the new owner of a John Sutton Jedrig (his first Accucraft) using the Roundhouse light up procedure (his loco fleet is mainly Roundhouse). The first time it lit there was a nice tall flame out of the chimney which did not pop back, and on the 2nd attempt the liquid gas ignition ended up with flames coming out of several places. I advised him that Accucraft recommend lighting up with the smokebox door open first, and leaving it open for up to 2 minutes.
Hopefully taking part in an Open Day next weekend so look forward to more experience with Technique 2 on my Ragleth.
Chris Cairns
