Rebuilding the Diesel Outline...

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Rebuilding the Diesel Outline...

Post by dewintondave » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:34 am

My next locomotive task is to rebuild my diesel outline steam locomotive. It now has pride of place on my workbench...

There are two issues that need sorting out:

I made a design boo-boo with the water gauge, it is tapped off the same boiler bush that feeds the regulator. This results in boiler water being pumped into the motor. It ran quite nicely, though the exhaust was rather wet, and the huge boiler was drained in around 5 minutes! So I quickly removed the water gauge. I now wish to re-instate it.

The displacement lubricator doesn't work on it's own, and requires an auxiliary steam feed (lower hand wheel on the lubricator).

Best wishes,
Dave.
Best wishes,
Dave

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:53 pm

I remember this Dave, love the noise it makes :)

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:29 am

tom_tom_go:112421 wrote:I remember this Dave, love the noise it makes :)
Ah, yes arguably it's best feature :oops:

Best wishes,
Dave.
Best wishes,
Dave

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:16 pm

it looks very interesting, look forward to seeing its insides
'Professional Bodge artist '

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:39 am

Here's the original layout.

This shows where the lubricator was mounted. To give it a better chance of working without additional steam feed I needed to move the regulator away from the steam chest so that I can mount it after the regulator as usual.

In practice, the steam valve wasn't used, so I've removed it and made a banjo type coupling to the steam manifold. This gave me the required room to move the regulator out for the lubricator.

Lubricator project completed.

Next, the water gauge.

Best wishes,
Dave
Best wishes,
Dave

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:20 am

Testing the boiler for leaks at the fittings, this was the fourth firing. Only one burner was lit.

New water gauge valve in the open position showing true water level. This will be closed when running the loco.

Testing the safety valve, the steam is being piped out of the way. Normally it's plumbed into one of the locos exhaust pipes. I had to change over the gas canister half way through the steam up.

Best wishes,
Dave
Best wishes,
Dave

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:41 am

The lubricator still wouldn't work! I reduced the length of the threaded portion of the cap and bored out a big as possible a recess in it that I could. Now it feeds.

Bag of leftover bits no longer required

Beautiful, clear water level. I took the opportunity to paint the coupling rods red, correcting another anomaly.

During testing I forgot to close the water gauge valve, and boy did it pump water through the motor! Closing the valve promptly solved the issue.

This loco has slip eccentric reversing. Reversing used to be a struggle trying to turn the motor over backwards against residual steam before the eccentric started revolving. But all I have to do is open the drain cocks, simples!

Best wishes,
Dave.
Best wishes,
Dave

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:03 pm

Some great engineering going on here Dave.

Keep the posts coming...

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:13 am

A short video of me testing the loco on the bench.  I was adding some load to the motor by pressing my finger against a wheel.  This motor can turn over nice and slowly.

I've got kitchen towel under the exhaust pipes as an indicator to check that oil is coming through.

<object width="720" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DctiRpblXwU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DctiRpblXwU?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="720" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Best wishes,
Dave
Last edited by dewintondave on Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Dave

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:20 am

Great video. Stills tell a story but the video sees how it all works together.
Regards Graham.