The Charlton Line

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:25 pm

Marvelous! I really like the journey feeling to the line. Real destinations and station activity at each end.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:52 pm

great pictures I do like your bridge

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Two questions if I may?
1) what are/how did you make the blockd for the platform edge?

2) The bridge track looks like timber balk road? Are you planning to leave the bridge out permanenetly? I ask because I've done the same thing but I'm concerned about the timber swelling and causing all sorts of gauge poblems when it gets wet, so I dont leave it out, which is a bit of a pain.?
Philip

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:51 pm

Soar Valley Light:111718 wrote:Rik sums things up very well. It's a great looking railway and all done so quickly. My head is hung in shame at being so slow myself! :oops:
I think you and I have a competition going on who is the more glacially slow at getting things done. I got in spurts. I got a lot done in May, but practically nothing in June.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:00 pm

You could be right Peter. I'm working like a slave, just not on the actual railway, it was slab laying in the yard this afternoon - non too successfully. In pway terms I ended up with poor top! I will get to the railway construction eventually. All the inspiration gained from this site, and lines like the Charlton Line in particular, will come into its own then!
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ikcdab » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:17 pm

philipy:111744 wrote:Two questions if I may?
1) what are/how did you make the blockd for the platform edge?

2) The bridge track looks like timber balk road? Are you planning to  leave the bridge out permanenetly? I ask because I've done the same thing but I'm concerned about the timber swelling and causing all sorts of gauge poblems when it gets wet, so I dont leave it out, which is a bit of a pain.?
The platform edge is from a sheet of mosaic tiles from B&Q. They come in sheets 18" square and i just cut them up into strips and laid them using waterproof tile grout. Then filled in behind with fine gravel and cement dust.

The track bed on the bridge is longitudinal timber strip 6mm x 18mm, drilled at 40mm intervals for tenmille chairs.
I did creosote the timber first and i intend to leave it out permanently. Ive no idea how well it will perform, time will tell! Im moderately confident as its clearly very well drained....and my railway is sheltered by a high hedge which is a real blessing...untiul autumn comes!

ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ikcdab » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:30 pm

Soar Valley Light:111718 wrote:Rik sums things up very well. It's a great looking railway and all done so quickly. My head is hung in shame at being so slow myself! :oops:
Dont expect this level of progress to be maintained! I had a deadline of the 16mm assoc meeting and I was lucky enough to be able to work on it pretty well full time and with great support from Mrs IKC and from friends. But now i ought to get back to other household duties!

But it was very important to me to be able to get something running quickly in order to maintain enthusiasm!

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:24 am

ikcdab:111823 wrote:
The platform edge is from a sheet of mosaic tiles from B&Q. They come in sheets 18" square and i just cut them up into strips and laid them using waterproof tile grout. Then filled in behind with fine gravel and cement dust.

The track bed on the bridge is longitudinal timber strip 6mm x 18mm, drilled at 40mm intervals for tenmille chairs.
I did creosote the timber first and i intend to leave it out permanently. Ive no idea how well it will perform, time will tell! Im moderately confident as its clearly very well drained....and my railway is sheltered by a high hedge which is a real blessing...untiul autumn comes!
Thanks for that. I've used mosaic tiles for a stone parapet wall, and that has lasted  3 winters so far and still seems ok .
My baulk road bridge is virtually identical although I cant quite remember the timber dims of mine, but I also used tenmille chairs. I've been planning to relocate it and its new position will be under an apple tree, so I guess we'll both have to see what happens!
Philip