Regner Willi v Roy Wood

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
2horse sam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Regner Willi v Roy Wood

Post by 2horse sam » Sat May 09, 2015 1:37 pm

Just wondered if anyone has experience of Regner Willi and Roy Woods coffee pot locos..The price is very close but the Regner being single cylinder..I had wondered if the Regner might need less fettling after a lot of use..Thank you..

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Regner Willi v Roy Wood

Post by kandnwlr » Sat May 09, 2015 2:55 pm

2horse sam:110704 wrote:Just wondered if anyone has experience of Regner Willi and Roy Woods coffee pot locos..The price is very close but the Regner being single cylinder..I had wondered if the Regner might need less fettling after a lot of use..Thank you..
I´ve got both locos. Once of the things I´ve noticed, is that the Regner single cylinder locos do tend to find their cylinders working loose - but then I have used mine a lot. The Roy Woods loco had a cylinder problem right at the beginning, but this was solved immediately. Since then no Problems.

2horse sam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by 2horse sam » Sat May 09, 2015 3:37 pm

Thank you Kandnwlr..I think I might put a pin in a webpage and see which I hit!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat May 09, 2015 7:10 pm

2horse sam:110709 wrote:Thank you Kandnwlr..I think I might put a pin in a webpage  and see which I hit!
Be careful it doesn't go through the screen!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Sun May 10, 2015 11:20 am

I have a roy wood janet chassis i am working on at the moment. The quality is stunning. And the service is great. If you have any questions you just email and ask him :)
'Professional Bodge artist '

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun May 10, 2015 11:45 am

I recently obtained a PPS/RWM De Winton project which had not been completed.

I know that Roy Wood hand builds his De Wintons which are then subjected to a full live steam test prior to shipping. Feedback from other Regner owners online suggests that Regner do not test their locomotives in live steam (and one of the faults noted [solder blocking a steam line to the lubricator] would probably indicate very basic testing on air only).

Regners have a reputation of being sometimes difficult to light up, and that includes the Willi. I had problems lighting up my Lumber Jack (now resolved) but a recently obtained 3rd hand Vincent had no problems lighting up. The Regner gas filler valve is a unique design (not like the more common ronson type filler valves) which can take time to adapt to. However if you fit the aftermarket replacement ronson style filler valve (I have 2) it exasperates the liquid gas problem on initial light up.

I read elsewhere online that some RWM De Winton owners noted they are a bit lively particularly light engine. I've only run my PPS/RWM De Winton on track once (light engine) and it was a bit lively but combined use of the regulator & reverser valves tamed it OK. Regner's have the advantage of gearing to dampen out that oscillator liveliness.

The gearing is however more post run maintenance involved, particularly if you are running outdoors. The gears attract all sorts of debris, etc. so do need proper cleaning off & re-lubricating otherwise they can suffer from excessive wear.

Getting spare parts for Regner's has been problematic in the past (having to be imported, etc.) although the new owners of Martin's Models (now Garden Railways Limited) are on the case (not all the spare parts available are listed in the Regner catalogue). Roy Wood's customer service is excellent.

Not an easy choice to make!

Chris Cairns

steam4ian
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steam4ian » Tue May 12, 2015 11:23 pm

G'day Sam.

I bought a Regner Willi second hand and it runs beautifully, highly recommended.

Ian
Ian

2horse sam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by 2horse sam » Thu May 14, 2015 6:15 pm

Hee hee ..prefer the look of Rener so I suppose its down to that..thank you very much..