Sand Quarry Loco

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Howardws
Cleaner
Cleaner

Sand Quarry Loco

Post by Howardws » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:18 pm

I'm rather taken with the little battered two foot gauge locos that ran in sand quarries so I thought I'd build one on an HLGW four wheel drive chassis. This loco is supposed to have had most of it's steel plate work rotted away and it's been replaced with timber. The driver was fed up with getting wet so he built a roof from sheet steel and scaffolding poles. The cab roof, side and back are all a bit dented from contact with various things that got in the way. I'm taking it with me when visiting my son in Jersey later this week and he is going to teach me how to weather things - he was a war gamer in his younger days.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:29 pm

Looks jolly good to me. Very reminiscent of those little i/c powered locos which pottered around industrial sites in the 1950s and 60s

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

DrevenVonGlivenburg
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DrevenVonGlivenburg » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:52 pm

Quite a good start to your locomotive, the idea of a heavily weathered look is an interesting sort of challenge.
Some little details such as tools, boxes, or other spare parts still lingering in the cab from past repairs could be a nice touch.