Edrig Enhancements

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Edrig Enhancements

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:51 pm

Hello all,

Please excuse me if I'm re-opening an already overworked topic here. I've had a bit of a trawl through the various topics but it's a mahoosive task that, interesting as it is, would take many hours. That's time arguably better spent terra forming in the garden in preparation for the start of railway construction!

My question is, what body or cab kits are available for Edrigs? I would be pleased to learn about any enhancement parts available but it's the cab in particular I'm interested in, especially any with a nicely shaped bunker to carry radio control gear.

Ta very much

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

mikewakefielduk@btinterne
Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:02 pm

SwiftSixteen do one as I recall

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:02 pm

I've only dealt with them for Roundhouse enhancements, but I know
http://www.locoworks.co.uk does enhancements for Accucraft engines too. I can testify that their products are top quality. I have so many of them on my engine that its traction has increased due to the extra weight.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:57 pm

If you are only going to use a single channel R/C on the reverser then there is already sufficient provision for that.

Servo mounts inside the RHS tank, battery pack & receiver in the space between the chassis frames below the cab floor (hinged cover supplied), and power switch mounts in factory cutouts in chassis side frames.

Not aware of any cab kits for the Edrig. Swift Sixteen do a body kit ( http://www.swiftsixteen.com/productDeta ... roductID=2 ) and Mike's Models do a Baldrig body kit ( https://www.mikes-models.co.uk/index.ph ... etail.html ). See Brian Dominic's Baldrig here - http://www.mdlr.co.uk/loco20.html

As for searching these Forums there is a very useful function in Google which makes it a bit easier. Perhaps our Admins could put it up as a Sticky in our Forum. See here - http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/Doing ... 50879.html

Chris Cairns
(edit - correct URL listed)
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Chris Cairns:110207 wrote:See Brian Dominic's Baldrig here - https://www.mikes-models.co.uk/index.ph ... body-kit-d

Chris Cairns
............... or better still, www.mdlr.co.uk/loco20.html
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:27 am

Swift Sixteens Owain kit is a beautiful and easy to make kit with A LOT of detail (opening spec. Plates) and really transforms the loco into a VOR like engine!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:42 am

Thanks Brian. That was supposed to be the URL that I posted there but I somehow ended up duplicating the Mike's Models one again for some reason or other.

Subject now edited above.

Chris Cairns

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:44 pm

Andrew/Chris, my Accucraft Ragleth NOBBY, which is essentially an EDRIG with a cab, has 3 servos fitted, reverser, regulator and resonator whistle, and none of 'em in the cab! R/C was fitted by Tony at Rhos Hylog and there are photos of both NOBBY and my Lawley loco DELILAH, also 3 channel, with hidden servos, on both my flickr site and on Tony's website. Cheers!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:34 pm

Gentlemen,

Thanks you for your responses. this sort of help and advise is one of the very best things about this forum. Does anyone have any photo's of the Mikes Models kit, the ones on their site don't seem to work.

I have to say though that I really like the Edrig in it's original form and am very interested in the news that RC can be fitted to the loco as such. I was only looking at fitting the reverser but if the regulator can be done as well so much the better. I'd be interested to hear any further details of the how's and wherefore's of doing so.

Thanks again everyone,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Fitting single channel R/C to an Edrig is relatively straight forward.

There is a cutout in the chassis side frames for a standard power switch, the reverser lever should have a hole drilled (some of the earlier models may not have this holed drilled) to use an EZ connector and a servo rod, the RHS running plate has 4 holes drilled to mount a standard size servo, and there is a hinged lid compartment between the chassis side frames under the cab floor for the receiver & battery pack.

You can see my single channel R/C set up on the similar Ragleth here - http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about8744.html

Having just fitted a Train Department replacement regulator valve I'm quite happy just running my Ragleth on single channel. On my 2nd hand Edrig which has 2 channel R/C for reverser & regulator, there is no space for my standard loose 4 x AA battery box so I need to carry that in an attached wagon. Just picked up a 2nd hand Caradoc and again there is no space below for the Futaba 4 x AA NiCad pack so that is carried in the cab for now. Seriously considering downgrading both of these to single channel R/C (the Caradoc has a glitchy AM 40MHz set up which will probably need upgrading to 2.4GHz).

Chris Cairns

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:06 pm

you might be able to pick up an Accucraft cab like I did for my Edrig. It was a Mortimer cab but works quite well.