Greendale Rocket modification.

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:41 am

Hi Annie,

I like your Garratt idea. I recently bought a GR locomotive in a charity shop and was when I got around to it make an 0-6-0 version as the 4-4-2 works OK but doesn't have a lot of adhesion so maybe a Garratt?

Regards Tony.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:49 am

I love the Garratt idea Annie.... that would go down well with the on-line Whymsical.com forum. Look it up and see. I often use it myself.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:12 pm

Because I did a fair bit of messing around with Lego railway bits while I was ill I have several of the Lego motorblocks which could be very easily re-gauged to 45mm. I have been wondering about putting them to use. Perhaps I should dig all the bits out again and try putting them together properly this time.

I used to be a member over at Whymsical.com Peter and I showed the idea off over there when I first thought of it. :D

I have at least four of these locos in various states of disrepair Tony. All of them picked up cheap here and there. Building an 0-6-0 sounds like a very good idea in terms of improving adhesion.
What has Reality done for you lately?

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Annie...great to see you back...how are the helpers?

Your Garrett inspired me to track down a Greendale loco but yet to do anything.
Love to see yours going, and once again Tony a master at conversions

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:28 am

Hi Crackingjob, - Merry Christmas. Yes it's good to be back again :)

My team of helpers will be gathered together again and tools taken from toolboxes and prepared for action. They have a big job ahead of them, but I'm sure they will be equal to the task.

I did put a bid on another Greendale Rocket this week that had a coach and van with it, but the bidding headed for silly money territory so I let it go. It's not as if I haven't got enough Greendale Rocket bits already, but another coach would have been nice.
I almost got myself distracted by the thought of how a Rocket would go as a Ewings monorail loco, but commonsense prevailed :lol:

All the bits for the Garratt shall be taken out of their boxes again and I shall set to work and get it built. If nothing else it should be useful to do duty as a contractor's loco and general maid of all work as I start to lay track for the Kotanga Tramway.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:42 pm

I'm not very well today so I've been distracting myself looking at what it would take to convert two Greendale Rocket locos into a double Fairlie. I have some of the old 4.5 volt Lego motor blocks which are extremely well made pieces of kit, quite heavy and powered by a German made instrument motor. I would think a pair of those would do a really great job of moving a small double Fairlie about. :D

I suppose the final outcome would look something like a Pechot-Bourdon.

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:38 am

Hi Annie that French ww1 loco is the way I intend to go...I have two nova chassis but trying to decide if it is easier to run off one power pack and if that will last a while...or two , one feeding each chassis but can't work out a simple wiring and control circuit where I just use the one switch...had thought of two side by side....or am I over complicating it? Anyone? Help?

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:16 pm

Can the battery packs be wired in parallel? That would give you the capacity you need as well as making the control system a simple one switch set up.

The double Fairlie idea is on hold for now because I want to finish the Garratt first. As I mentioned it's most probably going to be used as a permanent way dept loco and general test loco while track laying is going on on the layout. That's when I can get to building the layout that is because I haven't been so well lately. My bed is surrounded by piles of tools, card, plywood, lolly sticks and loco parts & etc at the moment :lol:

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:33 am

In between other modelmaking jobs, - usually while I'm waiting for glue to dry, - I've been working on the Greendale Garratt. I think I've let myself get a little more carried away than I first intended, but I'm reasonably happy with the direction this build is going in.

The front tank needs an increase in height so it's level with the top of the smokebox, but otherwise I like the general proportions.
Next comes all the gluing together, filling, sanding and then the first coat of primer.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:07 am

I'm going to take my Greendale Garratt build across to its own topic as I think I've spent quite enough time hi-jacking Tony's thread.