Roberts Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:36 pm

That saddle tank looks nice.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Roberts wood light railwa:109888 wrote:
MDLR:109854 wrote:That's coming along very nicely! What does the kitten make of it?
gets in the way alot and thinks its good to sit on the line when a fast approaching mamod rounds the curve
Whistles work well with cat removals :)

https://youtu.be/M19k3ZFmoMY

Roberts wood light railwa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:57 pm

kandnwlr:110132 wrote:That saddle tank looks nice.
thanks alot
If its not made to run on rails I'm not bothered

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:58 pm

tom_tom_go:110134 wrote:
Roberts wood light railwa:109888 wrote:
MDLR:109854 wrote:That's coming along very nicely! What does the kitten make of it?
gets in the way alot and thinks its good to sit on the line when a fast approaching mamod rounds the curve
Whistles work well with cat removals :)

https://youtu.be/M19k3ZFmoMY
one problem .... manual whistle lol

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Good tip for weighing down the Binnie Skips here (I use small fishing line weights off eBay) - http://reviews.laurell.nu/kits/binnie-01.html

I run mine on the supplied wheels but have added a sand load (sand & 50% water/PVA mix which takes about a week to set!) which is sealed on the outside with kitchen film thus still removeable.

I was a bit in blicker mode rushing around picking up all my shopping so had not seen the Groudle Glen Railway clearout at IP Engineering. Someone on the layout mentioned it so I rushed back to pick up a Sea Lion, Coach A or B & Coach C or D kit. I'll stick a request up for the correct paint colours to be used in the Help Me section now.

Chris Cairns

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:12 pm

im not sure what loads i shall be having in my skips at the moment maybe sand but more than likely 'rubble'

i wasn't going to go without one when i saw them, hoping to have the loco finished soon then i can move onto the binnies then the coach so watch this space.

as for painting mine wont be the traditional colours as the picture provided shows. i haven't decided on a colour yet.

cheers james

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:57 am

News from the line: groudle Glen 'polar bear' underwent more testing last night at high speed. This loco has a ridiculous amount of grip even though it's only 2 wd. I have commissioned a friend of mine to build me a line side hut which should be ready by now the next few week's. All joins now have fish plates ( I ran out whilst building the line) so running is a lot smoother. The faller railcar has had its seats and roof painted and the binnie skips are coming on nicely.

News from the steam shed. Mamod "robert" suffered yet another gauge glass failure on Monday evening. This is a problem that will be sorted go for good shortly which means a little earlier than planned, the new mamod saddle tank is having to run all steam services on the line whilst running in. Performance has been made a lot better with the fitting of a adjustable Roy wood safety valve and a meths burner

Locos from rwlr will be on their travels this weekend as they visit a local line. Locos expected to travel are the new mamod, faller railcar and simplex caravan along with numerous items of stock so look out for those pictures early next week

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:20 pm

here are a few pictures of mamod saddle tank running yesterday on its longest train yet

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:41 pm

That's looking great!

You may have said already somewhere, but what are the origins of the maroon guard's van? It looks great with your saddle tank.

Cheers,

Andrew

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:22 pm

Looking very smart indeed, that train looks just right behind your loco.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:10 am

Andrew:110412 wrote:That's looking great!

You may have said already somewhere, but what are the origins of the maroon guard's van? It looks great with your saddle tank.

Cheers,

Andrew
hi andrew i got it in a job lot of items but i think its one off from a man who is now making alot of items for 16mm and i think this may have been one of his first im yet to ask him. i shall get onto him this week ans confirm it.
cheers james

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:12 am

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:110415 wrote:Looking very smart indeed, that train looks just right behind your loco.
cheers i was suprised when i got the saddle tank home that it was a match for colour and also matches my older mamods colour so they look just at home sat next to each other

cheers james

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Sat May 16, 2015 2:04 pm

todays running prior to my first 16mm meet next saturday. bit of a disaster with the meths burner in the mamod (see other post in help me section) but the electrics are all servicable. i was hoping to take a steamer but i think thats out the window now

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Sat May 16, 2015 2:55 pm

nice, i noticed youve put screws through the track and into the blocks, what blocks are they? as there are various different types and i was trying to find some that i can nail through
cheers
Joe
Steam is highly under rated

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Thu May 21, 2015 12:25 pm

Roberts wood is off out to play this weekend at a local line. This will be my first 16mm local group meet. I don't think I'll have a steam loco with me as I've been having a few troubles with the burner but my ip engineering caravan will be going. Keep a look out for pictures early next week

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:48 pm

recent pictures of the railway... as you can see the railcar is no longer blue and is sporting its nice green with whiskers scheme. At present the line is out of action due to me putting a new siding in to allow me to run abit better with no reversing. having a running session on saturday afternoon so i shall have to get a move on, pics to follow after saturdays running but for now i hope you enjoy these

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:12 pm

a lovely running session this afternoon with a local chap who brought along his caradoc, mamod and two nice electrics. he also delivere a building he had made for me.

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

mamod out of the works

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:46 am

after last weeks lineside fire which burnt one side of the mamod it was in need of a repaint so whilst i was at it i decided to do the cosmetic work i have wanted to do on it for a while. I started by repainting the loco and the cylinder covers then moving on to fit the coal baskets. next i ordered new buffer beams and multi height coupliungs from dreamsteam which went on with no trouble. using the existing full length wooden buffer i chopped them into 4 to much some smaller buffers. i then finally added a oil pourer from roundhouse. for the time being the loco is finished but there maybe a few more bits added in the future.

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:11 pm

the line is finally ballasted after a good few evenings on it

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:51 pm

great pics and some nice little buildings too I love the colours of your railcar