Accucraft product recall

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Accucraft product recall

Post by ptlrcecil » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:22 am

Hello all

does anyone have any exact details on why accucraft are recalling the gas tanks of there american fleet and the NG16's. I was told that one let go due to an ameriacan butting pure propane in the tender gas tank and then heating it up with hot water.
I dont think it applies to the british locos like the caradoc etc.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

garratt100
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Accucraft product recall

Post by garratt100 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:17 pm

ptlrcecil wrote:Hello all

does anyone have any exact details on why accucraft are recalling the gas tanks of there american fleet and the NG16's. I was told that one let go due to an ameriacan butting pure propane in the tender gas tank and then heating it up with hot water.
I dont think it applies to the british locos like the caradoc etc.
Although the design is flawed from the start - being able to fill the surrounding water tank with boiling water(!), the main problem appears to be that the tank isn't built to withstand the pressure that it should do.

If the burners were more efficient & didn't need to draw so much gas, so quickly then there wouldn't be the problem of the gas tank getting so cold & consequently not letting enough gas out to fire the loco.

It still amazes me that people put up with this & the many other faults that have come to light on these NGG16 Garratts & nobody ever seems to take them back & get Accucraft to fix them... Especially after paying over £3000!!

I just wonder if there was a fault on a new car, would it be taken back to Ford or would we just live with it...?

Chris.

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:46 pm

Aye I have to agree with the NG16's faults. We were going to by one then heard a frame twisted on transport to a show so we bought one of fletchers locobox afrikarns for less than 2 thirds the cost. Runs like a sewing machine as well.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.