Burner going out

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Burner going out

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi all, i just tried steaming my modified mamod (internally gas fired) and it appears that the gas burner will go out after about 30 seconds of burning, i tried it indoors but it was the same, any ideas on why this is happening?

Image[/img]

cheers
Joe

by the way it now has a new safety valve and pressure gauge fitted
Steam is highly under rated

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:31 pm

Forgive me for the this but are you sure you are filling the tank fully ? You should hear a hiss as the gas enters the tank followed by a louder hiss/spurting sound about 10 or 20 seconds later, accompanied by a lot of vapour. This means the tank is full. When the burner does go out does it just go out ? It could be that the tank is getting cold as the gas is used. Try filling the loco then leaving it somewhere warm for 10 minutes before ligthing it.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:33 pm

Ok, i think i was filing the tank but i will try leaving it as i was lighting it straight away,

cheers
Joe

black cat
Cleaner
Cleaner

burner going out..

Post by black cat » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:35 pm

I had that happen to my Ragleth once..Gas could be heard coming through but the flame quietly extinguished itself ..Gas still came through..Tried a new gas canister and it never happened again..

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:21 pm

do you mean a new type of gas?

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:02 pm

It still wont work, ive tried cleaning the gas jet but that hasn't worked either, any other ideas?
I have noticed when i cleaned the gas jet the white elastic material coming out of the boiler stretched slightly although it was a it loose before, is that anything to do with it or is it just a seal?

cheers
Joe

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:29 pm

I tried a pure butane canister and the loco steamed fine (very weird) i got 40psi in no time the only thing is steam was escaping from the front of the engine when i changed the regulator, any ideas why?
i couldn't get the wheels to move but i suspect its a pipe that runs under the boiler may not be in the reverser block securely as it was from that area the steam was coming from.
Any ideas would be much appreciated

cheers
Joe

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:42 pm

If the front end is standard mamod then the pipe just pushes into the reverser with an O ring to seal it. There should be a brass disc on the back of the reverser that the pipes go through, the O ring is under there.
Dan,

DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:45 pm

It was the pipe that was loose but i can only see the hole where the pipe should go in, i will see if it stays put while in steam tomorrow but may have to find another way of sealing it

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:53 pm

Would it be possible to have some pictures of the underneath ? Your loco is something of a rarity so the builder might have had a different way of doing things.
Dan,

DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:42 pm

I couldn't get my "Jack" to steam in the bitter cold at Butterley this afternoon - it had been last run on butane and I think that didn't help. I brought it indoors and then it fired up nicely after 10 minutes or so - the Baldrig was fine from the outset, but then it's only been run on mix.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:52 am

Heres some pictures of my loco, with the new pressure gauge fitted, you will notice there is a small dent on the back buffer beam corner which i will need to straighten. (the has a cab roof and sides etc but i took them of to do repairs)

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:38 am

Thanks for the photos. It does look like standard mamod parts down there. As i said earlier, there should be an O ring under the circular plate on the reversing valve, this is what forms the seal. Other things to check for are loose screws, this does happen occasonanly on new locos as things settle down.

EDIT: Just spotted something, is the pipe touching the bolt with the spring on it at the bottom of the photo ?
Dan,

DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi, im having the same problem with the burner now, it just doesn't want to light, it will light briefly but will go out, sometimes i even had flames out of the reverser area but it wont catch on the burner for some reason, any ideas why?

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:06 pm

If the flame wont stay in the tube it could be a blocked jet or at least a partially blocked one. Is there someone local to you that you could go and see as if its not a blocked jet things start getting complicated.
Dan,

DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi, good news ive got it running and i will put a video up later ive set the safety valve at 40psi but it will happily run at 15. the problem was that waterised gas was blocking the tubes to the burner so after emptying the gas tank and tubes it now runs fine ive just got to get the hang of making sure when im running it the pressure wont drop