Accucraft Lyn Radio control

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Colinjamesporter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Accucraft Lyn Radio control

Post by Colinjamesporter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi,
I have a Accucraft lyn in Southern green which i have had for around 6 years. It is currently radio controlled with one servo on the reverser as purchased. Has anyone done a conversion to add a servo on the regulator?
Best wishes
Colin

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:27 am

I have a Lyn which I bought a couple of years ago and I thoroughly disliked the single servo operation, having to set the regulator to what you think is a reasonable position and generally getting it wrong, then just controlling the loco by selecting forward or reverse. Up to a point there is a degree of control by moving the reverser to "notch up" but generally I found it totally unsatisfactory.
I investigated and found it was a relatively easy exercise to add control to the regulator, the second channel is already on the transmitter and the receiver, so only an extra servo is required, plus linkage to the regulator. I mounted the servo on the footplate and changed the regulator knob for a lever and using standard r/c clevises and rods to connect them together. It is a bit tight for space in the cab but it is possible.
I'm not currently at home so will endeavour to take some photos and post these to give you some idea later in the week.
Phil

Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Snailrail » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:02 pm

I too converted my Lyn to 2 channel R/C. As Phil says it's dead easy. I mounted a second servo in the corner of the coal bunker behind the lubricator where you can hardly see it. Then a short rod from the servo lever operates virtually vertically to a home made lever on the regulator. Then just plug it into the relevant channel on the receiver, adjust the linkage as necessary and away you go.

Brian

Colinjamesporter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Colinjamesporter » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:51 pm

Thank you all for the replies. I look forward to the photos. Which servo do you recommend?
Best wishes
Colin

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:44 pm

Colin, I have taken some photos but cannot at the moment figure out how to display them here. So far everything I have tried comes to nothing, so if anyone would be so kind as to asist with an idiots guide it would be much appreciated.
Phil

steampig
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steampig » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:46 am

pandsrowe:107278 wrote: so if anyone would be so kind as to asist with an idiots guide it would be much appreciated.
Click the Attach File link just below the the window you type message text into. This lets you browse to the picture you want to load and then enters the appropriate html into the text window to display it on the forum. The html is inserted initially at the end of your text, but you can move it where you want with the usual text editing tools
Last edited by steampig on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks for the information on photos, I belong to several forums and it seems that each one has a different method of attaching photos. Anyway to get back to the original thread I had forgotten that as well as the addition of the extra r/c channel I also changed the regulator. This was not part of the intended modification, but as the result of me accidentally breaking the original Accucraft regulator, please don't ask. It was easier for me to substitute a Roundhouse one, although please note they are not a direct swop, I had to drill and tap the boiler manifold to accept the R/H one.
This shows the new regulator and the lever actuator.

This shows the additional servo fitted between the gas tank and under the bunker, the mounting bracket I made as I couldn't find a commercial one that would fit in the space. The original Accucraft servo that controls forward and reverse can be just seen on the left. The servo that I used was a Hitec, can't remember the model number, with the lead run through into the side tank where the receiver and battery are located.
Phil