Swift Sixteen railbus

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:48 pm

kandnwlr:107070 wrote:Well then, let´s keep the speculation going. Even if in this case it´s standard gauge and presumably one-way directional speculation.

(puts bus anorak on) That's a Bristol SC4LK - ex-Crosville if the destination's correct (takes bus anorak off)
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:26 pm

kandnwlr:107063 wrote:The issue with railcars and point-to-point lines is that they´re designed to go forwards and often don´t have a cab at the back. I´m wondering what design Rob is planning to go for.
My line is a continuous run so not so important. There is a possibility that Rob may also provide an unpowered trailer by supplying the body with two unpowered bogies instead of one powered and one unpowered but this was just a passing comment.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:40 pm

Does this qualify as a railbus?
It has passenger space and a driver's cab at both ends!

The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:54 am

Peter Butler:107114 wrote:Does this qualify as a railbus?
It has passenger space and a driver's cab at both ends!

Technically yes, but will presumably required two men, eached armed with a red flag, to walk in front, or possibly, behind.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:43 pm

I have always rather liked your 2CV railcars, though I do wonder about the ride. The crack we used to have about that was they had the only car whose suspension that could be classed as a(n extra-) marital aid. :oops:

Having seen some of the weird stuff that the Irish railways cobbled up in the early days of IC traction it will be interesting to see what Rob comes up with. CDRJC 7 & 8, and the Castlederg Tramway's flying shed are favourites of mine - especially with their 2-4-0 wheel arrangement.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:48 pm

At the risk of going back onto topic, hows about a Ford railbus, as used by the CDJR, ex-Derwent Valley Railway?

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:45 pm

[quote="IrishPeter:107125"]I have always rather liked your 2CV railcars, though I do wonder about the ride.  The crack we used to have about that was they had the only car whose suspension that could be classed as a(n extra-) marital aid. {/quote]

The knack was to time your downstroke with the suspension's upstroke...........

(says he who used to run them, plus a van which was fitted out for camping..............)
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:46 pm

.................... and make sure the suspension was well-greased, so it didn't "oink"..................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:10 pm

'Oink' !!!!! Is that French for 'groan'?

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:25 pm

No - it's the noise the springs make if you don't lubricate the tubes they sit in, and don't turn the cylinders every so often (easy to do once you've taken the weight off the suspension).
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:14 pm

You're a dark horse Mr Dominic.... I cant wait to read your memoirs!

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:44 am

Still on the 2CV topic and apologies for staying off the original topic.
Horrible cars.  I remember as a traffic police officer in about 1998 on the A140 near Norwich where I was staffing a traffic stop on behalf of the Vehicles Inspectorate who were checking exhaust emissions.  I stopped a very noisy 2CV hand painted like the inside of a nursery and emblazened with Nuclear No Thanks stickers.  The occupants were two middle aged female eco warriors dressed in that chunky multicoloured wool uniform they tended to wear.  
They were very upset by the police stopping them in the first place but were much more upset when they found out that after a full shift of vehicle stops, theirs was the only vehicle with emissions bad enough to justify a prosecution. :roll: VI sent them a caution letter.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:59 am

The two back to back 2CVs is no different to Colonel Stephens Ford and Shefflex Railmotors which ran is same configuration albeit standard gauge. Now a couple of 16mm NG Fords would get my attention although I doubt I could ever afford them.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:05 pm

The local liberal arts college (known to many of us as PC or Granola U.) is well laden with aging hippy eco-warrior types. Their vehicles are usually Volvos or Suburus, newish hybrids, and the odd Chevy Volt, but the hard core drive ancient hippy buses, VW Beetles, etc., that lay smoke like Craven's DMU on its last legs. It amazes with all their environmental concern that so many of them seem to drive vehicles that would not survive in any county with emissions testing.

I have to admit that the idea of a small double ended rail bus has me stumped for a prototype. The only one that comes to mind is the Castlederg's flying shed - which was hardly cute - which could be driven from either end, but seated about 25. After that I get on to more exotic fare like Hilding-Carlsen cars from Sweden.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:51 pm

2CVs have gone from being the steed of eco-warriors and social workers with dangly earrings to being an "enthusiast's car" - the Facebook group even goes as far as reporting sightings - something which would have been almost impossible before the vast majority rotted away and the said eco-warriors and social workers with dangly earrings gave up driving them because they couldn't get them serviced!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:01 pm

On the preservation line La Baie de la Somme in the north of France, you can buy a return ticket "steam train and rental 2CV" if you are so inclined.

Image2CV & La Baie by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:13 pm

That sounds positively delightful (and if the road runs parallel to the railway, standing up in the back with the top off is a very good place for "train in action" shots = bearing in mind that the suspension will iron out most (if not all) the road irregularities!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:47 pm

that's got your juices flowing again Brian..... remember there are more miles on the clock (your clock) now!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:45 am

Yep, Fords would be nice, but I'd like an NG one of these, the WCPR's small Drewry car:

I believe both Ford and Drewry cars were considered by Col Stephens for the Welsh Highland, so I reckon I could justify 'em on my line!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:47 pm

I do believe that a certain Mr. Rogers has made one of those.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)