Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Swift Sixteen railbus

Post by andymctractor » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:18 pm

Looking forward to this.  
http://www.swiftsixteen.com/productDeta ... ductID=127
Swift Sixteen produces some very useful kits and new ones keep becoming available.  I think this railbus stands a good chance of being very widely represented on many 16mm/ft railways.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:58 pm

That sounds very tasty! Hope the Easter bunny is feeling generous this year.
Philip

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:39 pm

Certainly does sound most interesting... as does the live steam brigaloc kit...
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:44 pm

Oooh... I was thinking just yesterday that a railbus might be nice - and, even better, my bank manager/wife agreed... Wonder what it's going to look like?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Can't wait. I do think my roster is lacking something similar. I was thinking about a model of the LMS 'Ro-Rail' (converted to NG of course) as it spent much of its short working life on a Branchline near where I grew up. (not at the same time)

Every time I think about a scratch build, some one (Normally Rob at Swiftsixteen) threatens to produce a kit that is light years ahead of anything I would build.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Big Jim:107002 wrote:Every time I think about a scratch build, some one (Normally Rob at Swiftsixteen) threatens to produce a kit that is light years ahead of anything I would build.
This has been the case for many years, in all scales. You find the one (very grainy) picture of a unique loco, use it to produce a set of drawings, produce the model and JUST as it's about finished, somebody produces a kit (or worse still, a RTR model) !!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:40 pm

MDLR:107008 wrote:
Big Jim:107002 wrote:Every time I think about a scratch build, some one (Normally Rob at Swiftsixteen) threatens to produce a kit that is light years ahead of anything I would build.
This has been the case for many years, in all scales. You find the one (very grainy) picture of a unique loco, use it to produce a set of drawings, produce the model and JUST as it's about finished, somebody produces a kit (or worse still, a RTR model) !!
I used to have this problem (IP Engineering bought out its Welsh Highland range after I had built models of both the Ashbury summer coach and the Gladstone coach) but have found a way round it by modelling prototypes that are already being produced by kit suppliers whose kits are too expensive for my finances....
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:49 pm

laalratty:107016 wrote:...............but have found a way round it by modelling prototypes that are already being produced by kit suppliers whose kits are too expensive for my finances....
.................... or of course you could invent your own prototypes............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:29 am

Is this prototypical, at least as a road vehicle?

Image007 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Or maybe this?

Image008 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:38 am

They're both prototypical as road vehicles, but there's absolutely NO WAY you could run a London RT (the top vehicle) on ANY sort of railway! Now the Bedford OB (the bottom vehicle) could just be feasible on a SG line (indeed, the LMS did convert a single decker coach for use as (oddly enough) a railbus ..............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:57 am

MDLR:107049 wrote:They're both prototypical as road vehicles, but there's absolutely NO WAY you could run a London RT (the top vehicle) on ANY sort of railway!
To be a real London bus you would have to be able to make several arrive at the same time, which would necessitate fitting couplings. :shock:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:52 am

I can assure you that both run on the K&NWLR, though the London RT is a little difficult in terms of centre of gravity, and has already one "leap of doom" behind it.

Maybe back-to-back RTs are the solution? :shock:

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:22 pm

To get this back to the original Swift16 subject, there are now pictures of the finished bogies on their website and beautiful they do look!
Philip
Philip

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:31 pm

philipy:107058 wrote:To get this back to the original Swift16 subject, there are now pictures of the finished bogies on their website and beautiful they do look!
Philip
I´ve been in touch with Rob, and - no - there will be no rough sketches or similar design pics before he´s ready.

"I am working off my own drawing. I'm not going to release any imagery until each master is finished. The reason is, I don't want incorrect or half finished pictures on the net and forums.

You will now see on the Railbus section, the bogies are fully finished with all pictures. I started model making there as I wanted to have something to put the body on before I started.

I'll be making the body side today and over the next few days, so hope to have the finished body in a week or so, with the whole project done by the end of January."

I for one am looking forward to the finished result.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:45 pm

The price is there (provisional for now I guess) - £345. Not bad... I guess that excludes the necessary gubbins to wire it up and control it... Which is unfortunate for me, 'cos that's the bit I struggle with. I reckon I'd like a railcar with R/C and working lights because I've recently discovered the joy of trundling a (battery-powered) train up and down the line from inside the nice warm house, watching its progress from the patio doors with a cup of tea - with lights I could do it at night time too!!!

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:05 pm

Andrew:107061 wrote:The price is there (provisional for now I guess) - £345. Not bad... I guess that excludes the necessary gubbins to wire it up and control it... Which is unfortunate for me, 'cos that's the bit I struggle with. I reckon I'd like a railcar with R/C and working lights because I've recently discovered the joy of trundling a (battery-powered) train up and down the line from inside the nice warm house, watching its progress from the patio doors with a cup of tea - with lights I could do it at night time too!!!
The issue with railcars and point-to-point lines is that they´re designed to go forwards and often don´t have a cab at the back. I´m wondering what design Rob is planning to go for.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:17 pm

True enough, but I'm optimistic it'll be double-ended - the web site mentions driver's desks and chairs... The website also says it'll be a 14-seater - relatively small and quaint? I generally like the Swift Sixteen aesthetic, I reckon this will be very tempting...

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:21 pm

kandnwlr wrote:they´re designed to go forwards and often don´t have a cab at the back
Here's the Wassertalbahn (CFF Vişeu de Sus) solution - an onboard turntable - simples!

Chris Cairns

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:23 pm

Well then, let´s keep the speculation going. Even if in this case it´s standard gauge and presumably one-way directional speculation.

ImageRailbus by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:27 pm

If it is like Rob's other kits it will be very, very good.

I have seen the internal turntable on other rail vehicles, what a great idea!
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!