MP3 Players

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

MP3 Players

Post by HereticUK » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:18 pm

I'm afraid that this is very off-topic for this forum. However, I am seeking some advice.

I am looking for a replacement for my faithful Sony Walkman which is now, unfortunately, on its last legs. I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good non-Apple (i.e. not an iPod) PMP or MP3 player as I am having difficulties finding one that has at least 80% positive reviews. I thought I had found what I was looking for in the Cowon J3 but it turns out that they don't make this model anymore.

If it helps, I am looking for good sound quality, at least 16GB internal storage space, a decent interface (that won't make me want to tear my hair out every time I need to use it), video playback (not a major necessity but it would be nice) and a decent battery life. Also I should mention that it should be in the region of £200 price-wise.

I have looked at three Cowon models (i10, X9 and Z2) and all seem to have different vices and virtues. The iBasso DX50 looks promising but the battery is a bit naff (for the price).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Is this to go in a musical wagon? (ie to play Christmas carols?)
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:03 am

I've been using a SanDisk Sanza Fuze for several years now. I got it because it includes an FM radio so I can listen to Radio 4 while pottering around in the garden. I'm no expert on these things but the sound seems OK to me. I never bother with the interface, I just create folders and drag and drop tracks across or use Media Player to transfer stuff.

Here's a link to the latest model -  I have no idea if it's high enough spec for your needs - I have tin ears.

http://www.sandisk.co.uk/products/music ... fuze-plus/

Rik
PS - Just read a couple of reviews and they don't seem too good for this model. Mine has the wheel interface which is a doddle to use. Sounds like they've ditched this in favour of a not so good touch screen. So maybe this latest model is not one of the best.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:21 pm

MDLR:105440 wrote:Is this to go in a musical wagon? (ie to play Christmas carols?)
No, I'm afraid not. This is very much for my own personal use!

@ge_rik: Sandisk have a good reputation for sound quality and reasonable prices. My problem with it is that I don't like the styling. I may have found what I am looking for in the new Sony A10 Series Walkman. However, it's so new that it hasn't been released in the UK yet!

MikeD
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by MikeD » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:50 pm

I have a Sansa Fuze + which I've been very happy with - mine is only 4Gb internal memory but has a mini SD card slot, and it only cost about £20 (refurbished model) from eBay...

It does do video, and plays many audio formats. It can be 'seen' as a USB drive on a computer, so is easy to just drag and drop files.

Mike D