Quick Emett loco

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Quick Emett loco

Post by Crackingjob » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Whilst at Exeter Garden Railway show, I bought a lonley 3v Lima 4F tender loco for £15..lovely condition and working!..so what did I do...like Chop Shop...CHOPPED IT! and started converting it to a Emett loco using card craft boxes, plasticard, and stick on card craft gems (2mm and 3mm) as rivets...this is the story so far....though note I did make the cab taller as it did not look right.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Nice work Mr Crackingjob, Laurence of the Awchit and Cyder Railway has one of these 4f's and it is something of a surprise just how powerful they are. Look forward to seeing what it ends up like.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:33 pm

Smashing stuff Dave do show us when its painted up too.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Mr Emett would be delighted with your work... it looks the part and I particularly like the cab roof!
Let us know about the power supply as it will need a battery as opposed to your usual preference for clockwork.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:41 am

A great transformation! Can't wait to see that finished.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:06 am

The cab sides are tops from smaller boxes, the saddle tank is the bottom of a small box, and the tender is the bottom of a large box with a section cut out to narrow it. Using boxes means I have strong but light superstructure with strong corners. In the past I have made coaches, vans and trucks using card boxes...its fun
The original steam dome was a pen top but it did not look right so I dived into my collection of cheap brass trinkets and found some small candle sticks (bought for 50p each) which I have bought with the intention of using as the bases for lamp posts...and a swift Chop Shop moment I cut one to make something more like Emett.
I have also raided the recycling bin and found card for the tender coal rails....just coal to add.
A rail test went very well, and the added super structure is very light. SEE PHOTOS BELOW THE You Tube VIDEOS to see the improvements to the loco. (must watch from 12 minutes to 25 minutes on the first video...the purchase of metal and engine transported on a rickshaw plus test of the engine on the street outside the garage...and not in a car! is to be seen to believe!)
Oh yes incase you were wondering (those elsewhere in the world)....Chop Shop is UK programe (on Quest channel) with Leepu a Bangla Banger (a Bangladesh car designer) and Bernie a cockney mechanic..Leepu produces in a unique way a stunning car out of scrap the Bangla way, and Bernie tries to keep it all roadworthy..lots of shouting, broken bits and major body rebuilds...my way of modelling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP13YZ6AlFU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcMPlXv16nE

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:05 am

Cracking good job. Looks stunning - and it works!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:18 am

Hello Dave,
Nice to see some more examples of your work and to see you back on the forum.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:36 am

I am most envious of your candlesticks.... they are just what Emett would have used in his full sized 'things' and complete the picture beautifully.

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Much work has taken place, with painting almost bringing the loco to a finish, with the exception of final fittings, lining, lettering and weathering.
I have also made a start on the train it pulls, again using boxes and parts of boxes to build up the shapes, before painting or cladding with coloured mounting board (saves painting and lends its self to the cartoon colouring feel I am after). The coaches stand on recycled Hornby Meccano o gauge tin plate wagons, that I found via Ebay very cheaply...a new lease if life fitted with Binnie wheels and axles.
The sort of scale is 7/8ths but the figures are the 4"-5" wooden artist figures you can buy cheaply....however invoking AWNUTS scale ruler rule, the guards van is a little too tall...but that adds to the flavour....and is what AWNUTS is all about.
The loco begins its life today as No1 of the Squally Bouy Railway, the new CEO Reece Shaw POPE my 1st grandchild born on 10th Novemeber 2014...however I am having to play with it...SORRY       look after it.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Very, very nice Dave. The colour suits the loco well and the stock will be just right following behind!
Congratulations on becoming a grandfather. I think you might build out of something more substantial than cardboard boxes if young Reece is likely to get his hands on it !!!

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:43 pm

Ahhh you have seen the flaw in my plan to have the loco to myself..damn!....I think a wooden version needs to be made!!!

Though interestingly enough, when No2 son was small, card buildings and wagons, if broken were given a quick spray with water and ironed to flatten and dried out and put together with lots of UHU glue.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:16 pm

Crackingjob:105609 wrote:....I think a wooden version needs to be made!!!
Something like this I think!

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:56 pm

well done cracking loco

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:40 pm

A bit of work on the first coach and the guards van. The Guard is in fact Peter Porter from Plan-an- Query station and stands 5" tall...oops not 16mm or 7-8ths....owww awnuts scale!...the laoding gauge is quite big...nearer 1/12th
The Guards van needs lettering and fittings...and a suitable Emett guard
The 1st class coach is a bright yellow and blue ..can't miss that!
The second class coach needs to be started ...blood and custard colour scheme I think!
All coming along nicely! Just hope I can do a nice weathering scheme similar to Mr Goodwin...see Gnatterbox link
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=9922

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:54 pm

Looking good Dave.... I like the lining around the coach windows, you must have a steady hand to follow the shape so well.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:57 pm

3rd class with upsidedown blood and custard colouring, is the last vehicle for the moment

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:34 am

Did a bit more work...not as neat as I would have liked...but the effect seems ok

Cheap play beads and pins for the lamp boxes, and card / paper for the roof

Figures hand drawn copied from Emett books and stuck inside (well whos going to look?)

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:06 pm

A bit more done to 3rd class, with guttering and drain pipe made of paper straws and odd bits of wire...I went for black as the fancy stripes looked lost on the coach

Also door handles made from rings from a jewellry shop and handles from cast off wire

The roof was layered to give the dipped in the centre feel

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:05 am

That is looking just great Dave, I see I must sharpen up my skills now you are on the scene!
Clever use of materials there. It's amazing what can be done with a little lateral thinking.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?