Page 1 of 1

coal mine?/wheel???????

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:59 pm
by jim@NAL
going to make an abandoned coal mine with a pit wheel and building .jest need a nice size ideally metal wheel for the pit winding gear ???has anyone got an idea of what I could use was thinking a small child's bike wheel but haven't had much luck on e bay etc

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:17 pm
by steamie1
Mamod traction engine wheel

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:51 pm
by Big Jim
Just what I was going to say.

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:59 pm
by sstjc

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:01 am
by steamie1
http://www.mamodonline.co.uk/mamod-trac ... -246-p.asp

Picture of what I mean.

Ebay has them for about £10 Quite large, painted black, with real rust added very good. Can be slimmed on a Lathe but not bad as is. They have the groove in the centre to add cable.

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:23 am
by Peter Butler
Perhaps a pulley wheel from an old washing machine or tumble drier?

Re: coal mine?/wheel???????

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:37 pm
by Soar Valley Light
jim@NAL:105233 wrote:was thinking a small child's bike wheel etc
Strewth Jim, how big IS this pit of yours! The smallest bike wheels I've seen would be (by my estimation) about 30 feet across in 16mm. It's a long (long!) time since I last has cause to be at the top of a set of headstocks but as I remember them the wheels were probably no more than about 20 feet diameter at most.

Having said all that, typing this has made me wonder now. There are any number of half wheels scatted about local villages hereabouts as memorials to a once great industry. Next time I see one I shall try and remember to stop and drop a tape on it.

Peter's idea sounds like a good one to me.

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:54 pm
by andymctractor
Not strictly what you were asking for but here is some pictures of two very small coal mining pit heads.
Here is a link to the map of The Black Country Museum.
Over on the left of the map are two coal mine pit heads, click in turn on the squares near to the mines and then click for 'More details'.

http://www.bclm.co.uk/map.htm

You should end up with photos of a couple of mines that were small enough for someone to do justice to on a garden railway.

By going to the museum itself there is quite an array of misc. junk and stuff including trackwork from the mines and some hopper waggons.

Good luck

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:11 pm
by jim@NAL
thank you all for the reply's,a mamod wheel is far to small the wheel needs to be a decent size to look realistic .thank you all very much for the help .I know where there are a few old washing machine's etc .so il have a look tomorrow .

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:44 pm
by Big Jim
Check out 16mm Today 147.
Keith Jacques did an article on how he built one, it is a bit on the complex side mind.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:14 pm
by jim@NAL
I don't get the 16mm mag is there any other way to see the article

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:55 pm
by Big Jim
PM sent