finding scale cars

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
daveyrd11
Cleaner
Cleaner

finding scale cars

Post by daveyrd11 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can get cheap pre war cars for sm32 that I could leave out in the garden, they don't need to be very detailed.
In particular I'm looking for small cars like Austin 7, morris 8 etc

Cheers,

Dave
Put that light out!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:45 pm

Dave, when you find a supplier, even if you can't leave it outdoors, please let me know as I am always looking for suitable vehicles to put on my railway.
I recently bought a TONKA jeep but that was steel so might not be suitable for your needs.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:20 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ricko-1-18-19 ... 1112412713
Try this Dave Riko Austin7 1:18th scale

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:34 pm

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:02 am

I bought the kit in the following photo from a stall at the Henham Steam Rally a few years ago.  I can't remember how much but it wasn't a lot.
I also have another similar kit but can't find the box.  This is a Hubley kit of a Model A Phaeton.  If you see one the picture on the front is of a tan coloured car racing what looks to me like a UP Big Boy.  Both kits components are so similar I'm tempted to suggest that they were manufactured by the same people or at least with the same moulds, not that I know too much about that sort of thing.  
I think these were available in the US in the 60s or 70s and while they look and feel like white metal kits as we know them,  they don't solder and it was suggested to me that they are some kind of aluminium alloy.   They are supposed to be screw together kits but depending on this method of construction does not get the best out of them.  With modern adhesives, fillers and paints these models can look quite impressive.  Keep your eyes open at swap meets etc and, if the price is right, don't be put off by the amount of flash on the castings or the need to do a little body filling.  
They are 1:20 ish scale but as they are american prototype they look about right for 1:19 ish UK vehicles. they are also quite heavy and make good wagon loads.
In the next photo they are alongside my version of the Trenarren Models Woody Bay lever frame hut.
They have no glazing and I would have no fears of leaving them outside for short periods between running sessions but not in really bad weather.

By the way the location of the photo of the two Fords is the rail crossing looked at in my recent topic on concrete roads.
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about8995.html

I'm always on the look out for an Austin 7 but for the silly prices they go for I would wan't a near mint condition example.

Good luck
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:02 pm

its hard finding cars .search everywhere car boots charity shops anywhere .jest keep looking your find some I have quite a few now .iv got quite a few 1.24th cars for my g gauge railway don't know if that's the right scale to use but they look right so that's what iv used ...