CLR Road surface and platform surface work

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

CLR Road surface and platform surface work

Post by andymctractor » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Been doing some mods to the Crowfoot Light Railway with some roads being constructed of concrete on hard core with coloured (blackish) mortar as final finish.  Also a rebuild of the station platform at Crowfoot Hall stn with the infil made of coloured mortar.

I've used some redundant lawn edging as shuttering.

Not the best photo but the coloured mortar has been applied.

With the shuttering removed we need to let nature do some work and of course the crossing gates and similar need to be built.
These roads can be walked on and will gunge up nicely eventually.

Now for the new platform at Crowfoot Hall Stn.

The white stone wall on the right of this photo was parallel to the track before I tidied up the tracklaying and this shows the extent of the re routing.  The platform on the left is not filled and you can just about see where the old concrete base was that supported the resin 'timber' halt that was the previous platform.

All done and infilled with coloured mortar.  This can also be walked on but as it is part of our dogs garden patrol route, it is not possible to have any knock offable bits on a permanent basis.

Hope this is of interest.
Last edited by andymctractor on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

philipy

Re: CLR Road surface and platform surface work

Post by philipy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:26 pm

andymctractor:103971 wrote: Hope this is of interest.
Yes it is Andy, thanks. It's always good to see how others do things and this looks as though it should look really good once nature does it's thing.
Philip

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:38 pm

That´s some serious landscaping there. Next season is going to be something to see :D

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

A bit more scenic work

Post by andymctractor » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks for comments.
Here you can see Bramley Bank Station in its raw state.  The low walls are the base for our Brandbright station building and the wall on the left wraps round the telephone box.  
I removed a nuisance bush from behind the rock and constructed concrete on hardcore roadway but decided here not to top it with coloured mortar.  Top right of the photo you can see the passing river (slate chippings) being held back by a dam made of Filcris and some left over lawn edging.  I need to plan some structures, possibly industrial or a water mill or something to front off the concrete gravel board at the base of the fence.  I will also surface the platform area in front of the buildings to cover the bricks currently in view.    
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:18 pm

Gives me inspiration to crack on with the D.L.R. extension

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:30 pm

Most impressive! It will mellow in time and look even better.
What adhesive have you used to bond the building blocks together?

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:21 pm

Peter Butler:103986 wrote:What adhesive have you used to bond the building blocks together?
Neat SBR
Regards
Andy McMahon

KNO3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by KNO3 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:20 am

Very nice. What is that bonsai tree next to your foundation?

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:38 am

KNO3:103993 wrote:Very nice. What is that bonsai tree next to your foundation?
My wife thinks this is an Acer. We have two other Acers in the garden but they struggle a bit because we don't have the right soil. I don't know if this is a more tolerant version. It was well cut back at the same time as digging out the nuisance bush. Hopefully it won't get too woody as time goes on.
Regards
Andy McMahon