The Milford Hill Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

The Milford Hill Light Railway

Post by Alan P » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, encouraged by Mr Bond who i've been chatting to about his Momentum Van, he thought some of you might be interested in my little railway. It's called The Milford Hill Light Railway and is hidden away in a tiny corner of Wiltshire. It's a very small railway, my back yard is only 9' by 12' but it manages to run an assortment of steam and battery locomotives plus various other contraptions! Anyway this http://www.alspcs.com/TMHLR.html is the website where i chronicle the railway's development and below are a couple of pictures as it is today.

Cheers,

Alan.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:18 pm

Ohh ohh yes yes I'll have some of that! I like the depth with the low relief and clever conifers. All one needs is a steam up loop to get the live steam fun going.

Well done you!

Nice to see and thanks for the posting it makes the Forum what it is.......

MANICK
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by MANICK » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:56 pm

Many thanks for sharing these nice photos with us ! :D

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:37 pm

I've just finished browsing through your website..... that's some collection you have there!
Nice little line you have too. You seem to have filled the space sensitively without being over ambitious. Very nice.

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:26 pm

Thanks Guys. It's still a work in progress and not everything i try works but that's half the fun :D

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:50 pm

Very nice indeed! What's the "thingie" at the end of the steamup bay?
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:13 am

I don't often comment on here prefering to lurk mostly but I have to say that is gorgeous. A lovely job very well executed. Very interesting website too. A few pics of the other side of the line would be good too if possible. Keep up the good work !
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:18 am

Welcome to the forum, I read almost your entire site after Zach sent me the link last night. Im very impressed with how much you've got in such a small space and how natural it all looks.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:06 am

Brain, the 'Thingy' at the end of the steam up bay is an IP Camera which (if you're really bored!) you can access here http://002iqnc.nwsvr.com/ . The username is user and the password is Purdy1 . It will work with any web browser but if you are using Internet Explorer you will have to download the plugin. The video stream isn't exactly hi-def as it is a fairly cheap camera :-)

sstjc/Dan, thanks for your comments. Due to the geography of my back yard it is impossible to get a picture of the whole line. What i must do is stitch together another panoramic shot as the line has changed a lot since i did the last one.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:35 am

Alan P:103667 wrote:Brain, the 'Thingy' at the end of the steam up bay is an IP Camera.
What a bloody good idea. It would be good to see more lines with such things. I see theres a slight breeze there today.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am

Welcome to the Forum!
Marvelous stuff Alan - really shows just what can be done in a small space.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Hello!

What a wonderful little line! It must be good to make (part of) me wish my garden was actually smaller! I particularly like the station building, lovely.

Interesting to see life imitating art - the WHHR have just repainted carriage 6 maroon to match your model!

Looking forward to further updates,

Andrew.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:33 pm

Oh and love the website.... Hope you'll post here when your playing trains so I can watch via the ether.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:42 pm

The camera is great for watching my neighbours cats investigating the railway and at night you can see the occasional bat :D

The black thing you can see off to the right is the hi-tech very expensive turntable weather protection system. A £4.99 plastic washing up bowl with a slot cut in it!

Andrew, that's amazing, thanks for posting that photo. I'm very fond of my WHR No.6 Carriages, they were the first kits i ever buit and have been behind pretty much every loco i have ever run on TMHLR.

If i remember i will post on here when i'm out playing trains :D

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Oh, Andrew, the station building was scratch built and my first attempt at scratch building a building. As such i made several mistakes. The basic structure is 3mm pdf with lolly sticks for the planking. Even though it was heavily waterproofed it's showing signs of water logging. So we learnt not to use pdf for anything going outside :!: I also used superglue to fix the plastic roofing tiles to the wooden roof. Seemed like a good idea at the time but every so often the roof has to be reattached :?

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:04 pm

I was wondering if anyone other than IP do a WHR No6 or similar. Haven't found anything yet. I think they are a lovely coach.
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Really with it today! That should have been 3mm mdf not pdf!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:24 pm

sstjc:103684 wrote:I was wondering if anyone other than IP do a WHR No6 or similar. Haven't found anything yet. I think they are a lovely coach.
Can't think of one, but with those nice square wndows and minimal detail it shouldn't be a difficult model to scratchbuild. I reckon the corners would be trickiest because there's so much window and so little wood...

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks for posting Alan, a lovely layout and I really like the way you've used moss.
it reminds me of the Pimlico Tramway which is also a lot of nice railway in a small space.
I do wonder about a small shunting layout along the length of the garage and this gives some inspiration.

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:49 pm

The moss was one of those experimental ideas that actually worked. The secret is Buttermilk, brush the stuff over the area where you want the moss, slap the moss down, add water and away it goes.